Hello, folks. My mother has dry eyes and I would like to know what could cause this. She had some parathyroid condition several years ago and now I wonder whether this could be the cause for dry eyes. What do you think? I would appreciate all your advices. Thanks in advance.

Hello. Parathyroid disorder should not cause dry eyes. These disorders are more related to calcium and phosphor metabolism. Your mother should go to a doctor. There she will be examined for a possible cause. I have heard something about Sjogren’s syndrome which has dry eyes among other signs. All exocrine glands are affected. I hope everything will be all right. Good luck with all. Bye!

Hallo,
Parathyroid disease is a problem that can cause several things in your body. What kind of parathyroid condition does your mother have? Hyperparathyroidism is a condition where your parathyroid is producing too much hormones. I am not so sure if hyperparathyroidism can cause your mother to have dry eyes. Has she been using any eye drops for this eye condition? On the other hand hypothyroidism can cause problems with eyes. Cataracts on eyes are very often a symptom of hypoparathyroidism. What kind of medication is she using for her parathyroid problem? She should see a doctor and see if she can get some prescription that will prevent her problems in eyes. I hope this was helpful.

Hi there,sorry but I only just read your post.If you stop using tap water in any form,ie.cooking hot drinks brushing teeth even washing salad your dry eye will get better.you can bathe or shower in it but do not put any of the stuff in your body.It contains poisonous phosphate purely to prevent pipe corrosion.This then causes thyroid problems and dry eye.hope this helps.

I have just been diagnosed with parathyroid disease and have extreme dry eyes. My optician says he's seen several cases of this and is convinced there is a link, but hospital ophthalmologists say it's unrelated.

I have just been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism (after feeling terrible for several years and eventually getting hospitalised with kidney stones), and I've had extremely dry eyes for the same duration; on seeing the endocrine surgeon I mentioned this but he immediately dismissed it as irrelevant. I think if there is too much calcium circulating all over your body for long enough, it stands to reason that all parts of your body can be affected by this.

I also had dry eyes and developed chalazions under both eyes. Two weeks ago, I had a parathyroidectomy and now the lumps are gone They were there for a few years and I couldn't get them to go away. I am convinced they were caused by the hypercalcemia!

I also started suffering from dry eyes and blurred vision before being diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism.

I agree. I had surgery, and the chalazions went away. I also had them under both eyes. I definitely think there is a correlation between dry eyes and hyperparathyroidism. Perhaps the increased calcium it makes secretions more viscous?