Hi, here is my story, I am a 57 yr old women and I had a large parathyroid tumor removed on Feb. 9, 2009. According to the surgeon after the surgery he told my husband it was the size of 13 peas together. After the surgery, I felt like a new person drop 12 pounds right away, it has been 5 months now and the same symptoms are coming back. My bones ache, headaches, sharp pains on the left side of my chest and my left arm around the elbo hurts, bones hurt, tiredness, dizzy, nausa and etc. I went a whole year before the surgery was done. It has been 5 months and still sometimes the numbness comes back into my upper lip. Tests after tests. One good thing is I didn't gain any weight back.

I used to love going into the pool and the water was cold. Not now, if I go in the pool now and the water isn't warm all night long my bones will ache terribly.

Here is a symptom that you wouldn't believe. Before I had the surgery, on the upper left hand side of my mouth my teeth just started hurting for no reason at all. I went to the dentist and they couldn't find anything wrong with my teeth (3 of them). The doctor that did the surgery, I told him about this and he said that the tumor wouldn't do something like that. He also put me on Vitamin D and Oscal calicum pills. I take the pills every day and on some days I have to take more Oscal calicum pills then the norm, that is because I think my Vitamin D level drops down and my teeth will start hurting again. I also have to apply heat for the pain to go away. I been back to the dentist twice about this and they have no clue. For the past two weeks, I have been getting terrible headaches and pains in my chest. I don't know if this is because I had lack of calicum in my bones for such a long time or it could be something else. I have to go for blood work this week and a follow up with my general practice doctor and discuss this with him. I am getting very tired not feeling well. How can I stop the aching bones? Is there a solution?

You may have the classic symptoms of fibromyalgia. I am glad you will be seeing your GP soon to take care of this. Your toothache is more troubling. Undiagnosed infection can cause this. Osteomyelitis of the jaw bone is one such condition. There is an excellent article by Bonnie O'Sullivan entitled "Dental Osteomyelitis" published online that I recommend you to read.

I had parathyroid surgery 3 weeks ago. For the first night, I had 3 seizures and very little sleep. I had one seizure a few weeks before that. I am living with migraines everyday. The doctor does not believe the headaches or seizures are related to the parathyroid. An EEG showed nothing wrong-normal brain activity. I have pain in base of my neck, shoulders, entire back especially mid and lower, and every joint wrists, elbows, ankles, shoulders and knees. Thought it could be fibromyalgia or something worse. I had two days of no pain, no headache and felt clear headed after surgery. Now I feel worse. My concentration and focus come in and out, depending on the time of the day. The fatigue is the worst, the pain wakes me every morning a couple hours before my alarm goes off. I have to get on with my life!

Kennydream,  Sorry you are having these bad symptoms.  It is horrible to hear of symptoms returning.  I am having parathyroid surgery in two weeks.  I have all of the symptoms including pancreatitis.  Here is my question.  Did the surgeon check all of your parathyroid glands?  They say 20 % have at least 2 tumors and since yours was so big -- well.  I am  trying to figure out about the surgery, and some of the places on the net emphasize this.  My surgeon here in Tucson won't seem to address it - the more than one tumor point, I mean.  Any info for me or you here?  Thank you and hoping you will have improved health.

I had 3 1/2 of the parathyroids removed 6 months and at first everything was great went back to work the next day, lost 17 lbs, headaches bone pain and fatigue went away.  5 months after surgery I have started the same symptoms I had before and that you describe - Bone pain, fatigue, teeth ache and just don't feel right.  My labs are normal. 

I had 2 parathyroid adenomas removed 3 months ago and I was the same way. For the 1st 2 weeks I felt fantastic!! Then I started feeling tired, dizzy and I have moments when I just break out in a sweat for no reason. I had my labs done about a month ago and calcium levels look normal at 9.6.

The scans and tests that are supposed to show the tumorous parathyroids don't work...and you probably needed ALL parathyroid glands tested during surgery...watch the 16 minute surgery video...AMAZING!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

the same thing has happened to me-was seen by dentist & 3 special Dr's no DX.

What is captcha code?

Did this go away, or did you find a reason? I had my surgery 6 months ago and my teeth have been aching for over a month. Dentist said see a dr and the dr said see a dentist. CT scan is next...

3 wks ago had 2nd parathyroid surgery...never felt well after the first,now after this one,I am sluggish,tired,sweating still after little or no exercise.My surgeon uses the Norman technique to a t...sestambi probe,pth testing before,after,with calcium check.2 wk post op calcium is 10.4.Large doses of calcium/d3 are given to avoid hypoparathyroidism...Am not sleeping and feel sluggish with symptoms returning. What is the answer?

I would swear I wrote this...2nd surgery 5 mos ago..sweating,teeth hurting,body aches,blood pressure elevated,now liver enzyme elevated.. help, fibro dx as well

Oh!...this is my story,too. 2nd surgery, never felt good after...bone pain, sweating was worse and still is 1 yr. Later. No one takes the sweating serious. It comes from nowhere or from chores,etc. Pth is elevated to 85,calcium 9.4, left chest pain,not sleeping, ad feel moody, ibs is worse. Got fibro diagnosis as well.

Who is your surgeon, I just had parathyroid surgery two removed. Dr. Guerrero with Banner is excellent.

I had parathyroid surgery in July 2017 - the specialist said I had one tumour - I asked if he was sure - he asked me why I thought there may be two - I told him I had been having shooting pains in the left side of my neck - he said he would look at all parathyroid glands during the surgery - there turned out to be 2. Ensure you have an experienced specialist do your surgery. If there is more than one tumour and only one is removed then the surgery will not accomplish anything. If your doctor insists there is only 1 and does not listen to you , go to another dictor