Am 65, high calcuim count, examined by general surgeon, researched "Parathyroid.com", am seeking experienced parathyroid surgeon in Eastern Pennsylvania who can perform MIRP PROCEDURE...
MINIMALLY INVASIVE RADIOGUIDED PARATHYROID SURGERY. Many thanks.

**edited by moderator**

Did anyone refer you to an eastern PA parathyroid surgeon who does the radio guided minimally invasive surgery?  I am a candidate and must get it done.  Please respond.

Hallo,
Unfortunately I won’t be able to tell you the name of the doctor in the Pennsylvania because I don’t live there. I know that this procedure is not a simple one because there are a lot of small nerve in the neck, so in some cases it is hard for surgeons to get to your parathyroid gland. You have to talk to your doctor about this and ask him to explain how is the procedure don and what are the main risks that are involved in the procedure. You also have to know that surgeons that do this are very good surgeons so you should be in good hands. I hope this helped a bit.
All the best to you,
Karen

Don't let the marketing from any one particular website lead you to falsely believe that a radioguided procedure is the only way to go. There are other doctors who (sometimes) utilize the probe as an adjunct, but find ioPTH a proven method of choice.

As far as a highly skilled surgeon within your state, Dr. Michael Stang is outstanding. Best wishes.

Did you check out the Norman Parathyroid Center in Tampa, Florida which is probably the best place in the world to have parathyroid surgery done?

If your looking for something no too far from Eastern Pennsylvania there is also The New York Center for Advanced Parathyroid Surgery in Goshen, NY

Dr. Michael Stang--excellent PHPT surgeon.

NYCAP has received "5" thumbs down from FB parathyroid posters/patients. Claims have been made it is a rather shoddy facility and even though the site claims to utilize intraoperative PTH testing in order to substantiate "a biochemical cure" has been achieved, they do not "always" utilize it on each patient.

Patient experience teaches that one is much better off to be wise in choosing their PT surgeon from the AAES's recommended list.

It will be easy for you to look up and go see Dr.Douglas Fraker in Philadelphia. He is at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He does minimally invasive surgery to remove bad parathyroid glands. He is highly experienced and does not do it exactly like the radioguilded surgery, but I would say is just as good. I just had my surgery done on Friday.

So far the closest facility in NE PA to where I live is the New York Center for Advanced Parathyroid Surgery. While I did locate a parathyroid surgeon in the Hershey area, it did not seem that he routinely inspects all 4 parathyroid glands during the surgery. Sometimes more than one of the four glands needs to be removed but only one will show up when they do a sestamibi scan. See http://www.parathyroid.com/sestamibi.htm for details.

The New York Center for Advanced Parathyroid Surgery has assured me that they check all four glands in most patients whenever possible. Depending on where you are located the New York Center for Advanced Parathyroid Surgery is not too far from the NE corner of PA. They are located at 15 Maple Ave., Warwick, NY 10990. There wesite can be found here: http://www.advancedparathyroid.com/

5 THUMBS DOWN! That's not good. Hmmm? How many thumbs up did they receive?

@firebird56 Who is AAES and FB? Does anyone know anything about this facility? http://rvsurgery.net/parathyroid.html

A surgeon in Hershey, PA   http://endocrinesurgery.org/membership/search/rosshowind.phtml?passid=446

Only problem may be is that he may not examine all parathyroid glands during surgery.

I had a parathyroid adenoma removed in 2006 by Dr. Gordon Kauffman at Hershey Medical Center. I have a 1 and 1/2" (barely visible) scar. I found Dr. Kauffman to be a compassionate, excellent surgeon. I spent the night at Hershey to montior my post surgery calcium, and recovery was easy. I actually woke up from anesthesia clear headed and feeling GREAT. The only possible downside is that Dr. Kauffman had med students training with him. I had no problem with that.

That's wonderful you were pleased with Dr. Kauffman.

It's always a bit of an extra comfort when we find our parathyroid surgeons are listed on the AAES's webpage (American Association of Endocrine Surgeon's) and he's certainly one of them, but yes,
a very big problem
if the majority of time he performs focused surgery.

Unfortunately, and very sadly, the surgeon does not always exercise due diligence in several patients of which I am aware, in not performing a bi-lateral exploration, & in at least two patients, failed to obtain a satisfactory/recommended ioPTH level drop before concluding surgery.