Hello! My mom has been diagnosed with parathyroid disease and to be honest before that I didn’t even knew that there were parathyroid glands in our bodies. I knew about the thyroid and it function in metabolism and growth, that is why I was surprised about the parathyroid glands. What are they and what do they do? Are parathyroid glands related to thyroid? All the answers are more than welcome! Thx

There are 4 parathyroids glands. They are all in size of a grain of rice. These glands are situated in the neck behind the thyroid. Besides being neighbours and having similar names these two glands have nothing in common. Parathyroid glands make a hormone, called Parathyroid Hormone. Parathyroid glands control the amount of calcium in your blood and bones. A person can live with only one parathyroid. When one of parathyroid glands go bad and makes too much hormone, the excess hormone goes to the bones and takes calcium out of the bones and puts it in your blood. It is the high calcium in the blood that makes you feel bad. Unless the bad gland is removed, everybody with a bad parathyroid gland will eventually develop bad osteoporosis. There is only one way to treat parathyroid problems and that is surgery.