I had few cists removed from a ovary throught laparascopy but one has formed again giving me pain. I was told from doctor that i need to have surgery again because i have few big fibroids as well. Is there any alternative to histerectomy in order to solve this problem?

Helo! I am a medical student and I know that different fibroids are taken care of differently. Everything depends on the locations of the fibroids and the symptoms they cause.

For example if they grow in the uterine’s cavity, there won’t be a need for any incisions. These fibroids can be taken care of through cervix by a procedure called hysteroscopic resection. Then, there are fibroids that grow half in the uterus half in the wall of the uterus. They too can be taken cared of by hysteroscopic resection. Some can grow in the uterus wall and can be pretty small but also grow unnormasly and sometimes these don’t need treatment. For those that grow on the outside uterus wall, laparoscopy can be used.

Why are you considering hysterectomy? Is that something your doctor suggested? Would he take care of everything then? What is he planning to get rid of?

These are some of the really important question and hysterectomy shouldn’t be taken so carelessly? You are right to ask questions around.

Do you know where your fibroids are situated?

the tree cists were located in the left ovary and the size was 4-5 CM. giving me a lot of pain.they have been removed throught laparascopy but after four days one reapared again.during surgery few small fibroids have been removed living a big one situated in the uterin cavity becose problematic throught very small incision and also becose i was trying to have a child and they didn't want touch to much.to calm down the pain and in the hope that the cist would riabsorbe,i was given contraceptive pill but it didn't work.this problem is affecting my life in many aspects and i need to sort it out.i wouldn't have any problem to go through an other operation but i'll bee very happy if it could be the last one and if could avoid hysterectomy which i don't think is apropriate for a 42 years old woman unless is the only solution.what is your opinion in this matter?What do you think it need to be done in this case?i belive that the surgeon want to go ahead with an other laparascopy (he thinks that is less invasive and the recovery time is minimum)but i am wondering if at this stage wouldn't be better an incision in the abdom in order to have a clear vision and a biger operating field?

Well, laparoscopy is also inserted through an incision in the lower abdomen bellow a navel. The camera then makes the peritoneal cavity visible as well as the ovaries, fallopian tube and uterus. Patients are also inserted CO2, which separats organs from one another, so that doctors can see them better!

Did you say you wanted an open surgery?

I couldn’t agree with you more about hysterectomy. This procedure should be avoided any time there’s a possibility of another procedure.
My mom also had cists on one of her ovary. She went to see a private gynecologist who recommended a hysterectomy because he had a case in which a woman’s cyst broke and made a mess, so he suggested my mom should have a hysterectomy and get out everything. She just trusted him and obviously didn’t ask too many questions about what kind of surgery that was and the effects it can have on a premenopausal women.
My mom was 45 when she had it done. A year after (or even sooner) her depression started. She ended up with the severest depression possible. I was too young to know about these things.

Now I know that it is the removal of cervix that contributes to depression in women especially those who are about to enter menopause. If it were possible to avoid hysterectomy, I would certainly avoid it.

do you think is possible remove a big fibroid from the uterus avoiding the removal of the uterus it self?also i was diagnosted endometriosis and i would like to know if fibroids can reforme again.i heared about a new medication which can stop the growth of fibroids and make them to go smaller(neprinol).thanks for your help.

I know about two procedures of removing fibroids that do not involve hysterectomy. One of them I have already mentioned. It is called hysteroscopic resection or hysteroscopic myomectomy. It is performed through the uterus with a wire loop. The problem with this procedure is that it doesn’t stop fibroids from growing again and many women need to undergo multiple myomectomies.

Another, newer procedure is called uterine fibroid embolization. In this procedure, fibroid’s blood supply is cut, so that fibroid would shrink. The problems with this procedure is that its affects on fertility are not known yet and that it is advised for women who are approaching menopause. In case complications occur after this procedure, women may have to undergo hysterectomy anyway. However, this happens in only 1% of cases.

About Neprinol….this drug contains enzymes that remove fibrous tissue. It is supposed to be very efficient. However, there are limits for its use, so you need to discuss it with your doctor.

i am 23years old and everytime i have my period l always have a left side abdominal pain like on my left ovary getting to my hip if there any chances that l can be having a cist, fibroids or cancer l have been to doctors for 2 scans and l they said lam ok and l still feel the painQuote:

My 15 year old daughter started getting cramps sice 11 at 14 she had a ovarian cist 18cm this was removed as was the left ovary as it was contaminated now a recent scan shows she has a cist 4.6cm in right ovary and she is in pain what is going to happen now will she need surgery again can her cists ever stop she has not started her peiod yet please give me some advice what to do she is very unhappy and in pain. I t just isnt fair for a child to go through this could it have been prevented is it my fault I do feel guilty is it my upbringing that has contributed. PLEASE HELP :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( ? ?

I get pain in my lower right evry time of the month and its gets worse every month could that mean something> i have been to the doctor and they say its nothing it will go away. But no answer