I was diagnosed with fibroid tumour two weeks ago. It has to be removed by hysterectomy or endometrial ablation. I can make decision on my own. I don’t know which I should choose. I know the facts about these procedures but know nobody that underwent them. Would be grateful for any advice.

I had hysteroscopic endometrial ablation a year ago. That procedure is done under general anaesthesia. Did you know that hospitalization is not needed after this procedure? I had to avoid all kinds of exercises for 4 weeks after the procedure and had brownish discharge for about 6 weeks. But 3 days after HEA I could get back to normal daily activities and as I know some women could even within 24 hours. Hope that helped and made you get your decision easier.

DO NOT GET A HYSTERECTOMY FOR TUMORS. That procedure should only be done if you have cancer or your situation cannot be relieved by any other procedure. Depending on where your tumor is, you can get various types of surgery: laproscopic, laser myomectomy (only removing the part that is diseased) or surgery through the virginia. You MUST do your own research. Even the best physicians are limited to their own knowledge. I am also researching surgery for my tumors. Losing my uterus is NOT an option and I am NOT having children. Your uterus is more than just a fertility organ. It controls bone density, sexual drives and heart disease. There is plenty of info on the web. You just need to look. Here are a FEW of many that I have found to be very helpful: myomectomy.net/abtdrindman.htm, myomectomy.net/abtdrindman.htm, alternativesurgery.com/index.php Be an informed patient. Don't take the physician's for granted. o.O

Several friends of mine had hysterectomies and suffered terribly afterward, especially with extreme fatigue and mood swings from the hormonal changes. I had an endometrial ablation instead. That was two years ago. I had no problems with it whatsoever. It stopped my hemmorhaging and my period has been more like just a little spotting for one day instead. I wrote my doctor a "you're my hero" letter!

I had been having horrible 15 day periods for almost 2 years and found out I had fibriods, but didn't get surgery until just this week. The ablation is not really for taking away the fibroid -- they had to shave it off with a resectioning tool first -- but the ablation will help to staunch the heavy bleeding that I have had for so long that has made me severely anemic.

The only issue I had was the cytotec that I took about 12 hours before surgery which gave me the worst cramps I'd ever had -- but that just meant I was that much happier to have the surgery. I woke up out of the general just fine, had a little cramping about 8 hours later, took advil and haven't felt a thing since or had any discharge at all. Back to work the next day like nothing happened.

The troublsome fibroid is gone and I'm quite optimistic that the bleeding will be signficantly reduced, if not gone for all intents and purposes.

Will keep posted

I was told if you have many fibroids or tendaency towards getting fibroids they come back with a vengeance after an ablation. has anyone had this experience???

Had ablation thereapy 2 years ago - periods so much lighter - great. But had fibroids then. Only in last 3 months have i had extreme paid from fibroid due to their size and being close together. Felt like a teenager with her first period ---sore sore. If the fibroids are small and not causing problems and not cancerous - and you still want kids - they can remove fibroids vaginally with a myomectomy. The ablation therapy was amazing - did nothing after for 3 days and back to work - loved my life for the next 2 years....but now no other options - having hystertomy in 2 weeks. Try ablation first....then there is a non invasive radiation system on the market as well...and then see. But the laser ablation therapy is super duper

HI;

Yes unfortunately this is what happened to me :(. I had an Albation and Tubal ligation last year and it was great for abut 8 months, but then the fibroids/pain/constant bleeding like a 3 week period :( all came back and now I have to get a Hysterectomy. Wish I'd done that in the first place!

Hi, I'm 35 and am suffering from very heavy periods. I have had fibroids removed vaginaly twice before by Dilatation and curettage (or D&C). The first time it helped for about four years, but then my periods got heavy and painful again this past year. I had the second procedure done back in February along with closing my tubes, but this time it did not help at all. My periods keep getting heavier and more painful. I went for a follow up with my OBG yesterday and he gave me two options, one was the Endometrial Ablation and the other one a hysterectomy.

Based on the little research that I have done on the web since yesterday, it seems that they both have their pros and cons. With the Endometrial Ablation, there is a good chance that the heavy flow and pain will either stop or reduce extremely but also there is a chance that the bleeding will come back and that the procedure has to be repeated later down the road. With the hysterectomy, I have read that there is a chance of hormonal changes, fatigue and loss in sex drive. My doctor assured me that there are no side effects with hysterectomy if the ovaries are untouched and the only change will be no periods and not being able to have kids. I trust my doctor very much, but I still would like to read from women that have done the procedures and their experience.

does the Ablation help with the cramps?

How are you doing now? Did fibroid go away for good?

Ultra Sound says that I have fibroid and polyps. my Dr. said polyps need to be removed not fibroid. I did not ask question why keep fibroid.