Hello, my name is Deborah and I am 52 years old. My mentrual cycle as been very normal until August 2007 at which time I experienced the most heavy bleeding ever. I immediately saw my GYN who performed an endometrial biopsy which fortunately was negative. After that, I still got my period every month, sometimes light, sometimes heavy however, once again in February very heavy with clotting. I went back to GYN on April 17th, at which time she took blood and I have undergone TVU. Tomorrow I should get results. Very nervous. I have had fibroids my entire life. My uterus is enlarged (approximately the size of a small grapefruit). Opinions greatly appreciated.

You sound just like me!! I'm 53, just got the results of a TVU today which showed multiple fibroids, a cyst on my ovary. I originally called my GYN for a heavy and prolonged period. The real period lasted 6 days but I bled slightly for another 25 days! She explained that during perimenopause the estrogen is not countered with progesterone during mensus, therefore you could get excess bleeding. So that part is hormonal. Also, fibroids can cause excessive bleeding or between period bleeding. Fortunately, once we hit menopause and stop producing estrogen, the fibroids tend to shrink. They really grow fast during perimenopause because our hormones are out of whack. I have to get my biopsy next appointment and I think she'll discuss options. I'm afraid she'll talk hysterectomy, which I am resistant to right now. She will have to scare me into it. I'd rather have fibroid embolization if I am a candidate. Look that procedure up on the internet. Now I am beginning to realize that my frequent need to urinate and a feeling of fullness is due to these fibroids. I admit I am a little worried until I get my biopsy. You've already been through that so now you can just look at your options. I consider the options to be: do nothing and have Doc watch, embolization, hysterectomy, wait until menopause to see if they shrink or maybe even natural progesterone which I have read can sometimes shrink fibroids. Good luck

Hey guys. I would like to ask you if you know for sure that you have enlarged uterus because of fibroids and fibroids only? Have you noticed any pain during intercourse? This could be a result of hormonal imbalance. But, since the only symptom you have is excessive bleeding, I don't think that the doctor will be able to diagnose anything else, because that's just that. Fibroids. So, I don't think you should be worried, but you should take precaution and be careful. Hang on 'till tomorrow and let us know what the doctor said. Keep us updated on your progress.

hi, im only 33 n a half n just found out i have an enlarged uterus due 2 fibroids (i have 4 children a complete family) & am happily married; due 2 the above problem i've had constant heavy bleeding since xmas day 08 & painful & lots of clotting 2 n im rather all confused n scared bout this situation as i cant get in2 c a gyno till april 09 n i have 2 suffer with this uncomfortableness all this time. I am thinking i should opt 4 a hysterectomy what do you older women whove had these problems think? im open minde 2 all answers thamk you christine %-) o.O :O

No don't have a hysterectomy! I have had the same problem since my middle 30's and am now in my late 40's. My Gyno put me on the pill last year and it helped me out so much. I don't bleed heavy anymore! I wasn't to keen on the pill, but it really did work.

I am 36 years old and have 6 children. I am happy with my family size and don't want any more kids. After my last birth I went a little over a year with no period due to breast feeding. When it came back it was 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off for about 4 months. Month 5 came and with it heavy bleeding. Due to other health issues I am unable to take the birth control pill so a hysterectomy was the only way for me. I am really happy with the situation. I had my surgery just over 2 weeks ago and although I am not ready to run a marathon I feel great. If you are sure you are done making babies I say do the surgery. No more periods or pap test....need I say more?

go in for yearly exams and a vaginal pap is good cause even though you had a hyst and wheather or not your cervix is there you can still get cancer down there. don't delay your yearlys. love

Hi my name is Angie I am 50 and have an enlarged uterus, I find that I am running to the toilet more frequently and I feel some discomfort in the pelvic area. I also find it painful when having intercourse. I have had a C T scan and that showed thickened fibroids, also Diverticulosis.

Last year I also had a Novasure treatment, and some laser treatment for C N 1 cells. The Consultant that i am attending thinks there may be a link with the treatments that I have had. I am being sent for an Endoscopy to check for any other possibilities.

Will keep you posted if they find any answers.

Dont worry there quite a common thing in women off our age.

Take Care

Angie (50)

hi i have also enlarged uteris n fibroids very constipated but scared to remove uteris as did 2 ops not long ago.what can we do naturally lets see

Hi im aged 50 and have had nightmare periods and fibroids for over 3 years,i have tried tranexamic acid and menafanamic acid tablets to no avail i had a mirena coil last year but that came out by itself.
recently i tried the contraceptive pill but thrombosis is hereditary in my family and it gave me terrible headaches,now i dont know wether to ask for a hysterectomy as im at the end of my tether.... if i knew when my menopause would happen the decision would be easybut the thought of going through these periods every month for another few years is very depressing

So scared. I do not want a hysterectomy and I am 59 years old and I no longer have periods, but I have fibroids what do I do