Hello there,

I have a small fibroid that is casing a great deal of pain. Can i have a myomectomy to remove it?

If your small fibroid is causing a great deal of pain and your doc suggested myomectomy, then you should go for it. Myomectomies are used for removing small submucous fibroids. By having this fibroids removed, you are not protected from other fibroids or this one reoccurring. The chances of recurrence are 20 to30 %.
You will not feel a thing as you will be under local or general anesthesia and you may go home the same day. Since there are no incisions, the recovery goes rather quickly, it may take up to 7 days. In myomectomy, you get a hysterescope inserted through vagina into the uterus and then a wire loop gets rid of the fibroid. As easy as that. The procedure doesn’t impair fertility, there is very little scarring but like I said it will not prevent you from fibroid recurrence.
The adequate procedure for fibroids removal depends on the fibroid size and location.

There are several versions of the procedure called "myomectomy". If you can have it removed through a hysteroscopic procedure that would be one of the least invasive ways to do it. I agree that you really should get rid of it while it remains small, especially if it causes you pain now. There is another treatment, called an intervention, which restricts the blood flow to the blood vessel feeding the tumour. That is also very low-impact, and if your pain is related to menstruation and heavy blood flow it may be very appropriate for you. Recovery is pretty fast and I don't think you even have to have a general anaesthetic.

The other forms of myomectomy are progressively more invasive -- laparoscopic or abdominal incision.