Hi I have a question about the cervical mucus and the prediction of the ovulation. I have always tried to determine my fertile days by various ways, but I was never that certain of the prediction that I could have unprotected sex and feel safe. Recently I have heard from one of my friends that she can determine the time of her ovulation by inspecting the cervical mucus and its consistency. What’s the connection between the cervical mucus and the stage of the menstrual cycle, can you give me some more information on that?

Your friend was totally right, there is a strong connection between the consistency of the cervical mucus and the time of the ovulation. The main purpose of cervical mucus is to act as a sort of a plug on the entrance into the uterus. In the different stages of the menstrual cycle it changes its consistency and by doing that it allows or disallows the passage of different matters into or out of the uterus. During the most of the cycle the mucus is thick, not allowing foreign particles to enter the uterus, only during the ovulation cervical mucus becomes more fluid and allowing the passage of the sperms into the uterus. It also has a special composition helping the sperms to swim in it. Until the sperms reach the cervix, they are pretty passive in their movement and they depend on the semen to keep them alive and mobile, when they reach the cervix the cervical mucus takes them over and their success in fertilizing the egg mostly depends on the consistency of the mucus. The consistency of the mucus is controlled by levels of progesterone and estrogen. During the ovulation the production of progesterone reaches its peak causing the dilution of the mucus, as the progesterone production decreases the mucus becomes thicker. The consistency of the cervical mucus is a relatively good sign of the stage of the cycle although it is not enough to make any predictions about the ovulation and it cannot be used in contraception purposes. The condom or some other classical ways of contraception still remain the safest ways of not getting pregnant and I think you should stick to them.