I know some typical symptoms of early pregnancy. I know many women reported same, as cramping, headaches, morning sickness, and similar. However, I have heard it could be reported case with changes in cervix during early pregnancy. I would like if that is true, because I found it interesting. Can you tell me more about it, why these changes of cervix during early pregnancy occur?

There are some physical signs include basal body temperature and cervical mucus changes that happens in early pregnancy. The changes in your cervix during ovulation indicate woman’s fertile days. You need to know that hormonal fluctuations in body during ovulation are responsible for these changes in the cervix in early pregnancy. Woman is considered most fertile when her cervical mucus becomes clear, slippery, and stretchy just like raw egg whites. You can always monitor the changes in your cervix yourself by getting a sample of your cervical secretions. Do this from the outer lips of your external genitalia, and stretch it between two of your fingers, thumb and index finger, to test for the consistency. Examining the changes in your cervical mucus can help you pinpoint your chances of pregnancy. This why you could see there is some change in cervix during early pregnancy. As cycle progresses, cervix will show marked changes and the cervical mucus will increase in volume and changes texture. Right after ovulation the cervix is returning to the dryer, lower, closed state you noticed after menstruation. During early pregnancy, the cervix becomes closed and blue in color. Cervical mucus also tends to change during this stage of your cycle, so the cervical mucus would begin increasing due to hormonal fluctuation and blood flow to the uterus.

I needed to elaborate a little bit on that comment...

'Cervix' I think you actually meant 'womb or uterus' but I used your term in replying. I wanted to clarify that tho.... the uterus doesnt become large enough for a woman to notice as an early sign of pregnancy. If you look up gestational pics and info you can actually view pics of a baby developing within the uterus day to day and or week to week, its really very neat to ba able to see and understand the way it all works from those pics!!

Did that help at all... or where you looking for a different kind of info...? I can help you look some things up if youd like.

Good luck!!

The term cervix is correct in this post. The term Uterus or womb is not.

The cervix is the entrance to the uterus/womb.

The uterus/womb changes position during the menstrual cycle and rises to a higher position while ovulating - the opening to the uterus (the CERVIX) opens to allow conception to happen.

Before elaborating on something, please find out your facts.

I had a miscarriage last year and I have found out that I am now pregnant again. I read that your uterus becomes softer when you become pregnant. When does this happen and if it is not soft do I have an increase chance of miscarriage again? I am very nervous about having another miscarriage.

For women who track their cervical position in order to determine fertility, many wonder if there correlation between the position of the cervix and early pregnancy.

Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a simple answer for all women. The position of the cervix during pregnancy does change but not at the same time in all women.

After ovulation, your cervix will drop lower in your vagina and feel firm, like the tip of your nose. During pregnancy, the cervix will rise a bit and become softer, but the timing of this happening will vary from woman to woman. For some, this will happen shortly before their period is due, but for other, this will not happen until quite a while after their pregnancy has been confirmed.

Due to this variation between women, checking the position of your cervix to determine pregnancy is not a reliable indication of whether or not your are pregnant. More reliable ways to find out if you are pregnant is take a sensitive home pregnancy test or by visiting your doctor for a pregnancy blood test.

I noticed the previous comments indicated that the cervix changes in pregnancy different from woman to woman. Is there a hormone that causes this, or what actually causes the cervix to change smaller/bigger or softer/firmer molecularly in the body?

I'm about 6 weeks pregnant, and my cervix finally got softer/bigger. I was wondering what that meant was going on in my body.

Thanks!

Excuse me, but during pregnancy the cervix does not become closed. It should be "SHOW". Soft, High, Open, and Wet. Just clarifying.

When your cervix is SHOW its that time for ovulation the cervix stays open so semen can enter easier, The position is high so it is closer to your uterus increasing chances of conception and your cm is slippery/wet to make it easier for semen to swim through, when you are pregnant the cervix is high to protect the fetus, and remains closed to keep everything in, thats why when you go to the doctor they are able to tell how dilated you are by the opening of the cervix, that is also why it is closed in early pregnancy because when u are ready to give birth your cervix reaches full dilation of 10 centemeters.
Now back to the original forum question, your cervix changes through out u'r cycle if you have not been checking it regualry then you will not notice a difference, the best advice i can give you is check it frequently the same time every day even twice a day if u like once with first moring urine and one in the evening before bed. u will soon get a feel for what position is right for u and when there is a change keep u'r fingers crossed and hope for the best.

So....once you are pregnant, will the cervix block semen from entering the uterus then? I have noticed that after sex, semen will come out of me hours later like it was just stuck in there. Not normal. Always think I am peeing my pants.

When you become pregnant your cervix will close. If the cervix

wasn't closed you'd have a miscarriage. Just clarifying.

semen leaks out of you due to gravity. it doesnt really have anything to do with your cervix.

if the cervix was open after you become pregnant, you would most likely not carry the baby to term. being closed helps protect the fetus and keep in in there as it grows.

the cervix is different for every woman during pregnancy. right now i am roughly 5 weeks along and mine has gotten plumper and softer. typically i cannot ever feel mine, but now i can. it depends on your own personal anatomy, age, health issues, genetics, any number of things. though typically Soft high open wet is ovulation. being higher up helps suck up the sperm. when you end your cycle typically it will be more firm and low but still open to allow the uterus to shed the lining. keep in mind everyone is different. but in order to sustain a pregnancy it has to be closed.

also, women who have had children may have a cervix that appears slightly open all the time. there also could be scarring or damage. so its safe to say while using cervical position to check for ovulation is valuable, it doesnt necessarily indicate pregnancy. theres just too many variables.
hpts and blood tests are pretty much the only way to know if youre pregnant until a scan can be done by the dr.

i hope this was helpful =)
good luck all

wow ok your cervix doesnt close so to speak. it actually gets a mucus plug. which keeps everything in. but to actually answer the question, ur cervix does change in pregnancy. however because every female is different only ur ob-gyn can help you with this. your hormone levels are a big factor. and they are different for every female. talk to your doctor about ur questions trust me they will be more informative than the people here. i hope i helped. -obgyn RN-

the same thing happens to me and i was wondering the same thing...if i'm pregnant and my cervix is closed then it makes sense...

Okay when a man ejaculates in you he isn't depositing it directly in your uterus it goes into the vagina which is the canal between your cervix (opening to the uterus) and the outside of your body, so yes it can run back out... not all the lil swimmers are going to make it thru the crevix and into the uterus. You actually have more of a chance to get them in there if the sperm is deposited either at the same time or slightly before you have an orgasm. It creates a suction effect for the sperm. And if you have issues with sperm running out later and you are not activly trying to get pregnant I suggest monogamy and a condom!!!

But the OBGYN Rn is right, ASK THE DOCTOR!!! You can get a better idea of what to ask about from reading internet info but the only person who is going to be able to answer these questions tailored to your personal needs and body is your physician. You should never never self diagnose or get yourself all worked up with out talking to the doc. I've had 4 pregnancies, I have only 3 kids and have had numerous issues and I can tell you from personal experience, you are better off to go to the doc and ask rather than get misinformation on the internet or in some book. ;-)