I have been experiencing itching on the left breast in the areola area. It looks slightly discolored and ringworm looking. I have never had this before and I had a mamogram in July that was negative. I read some of the other postings on itchy breast and some ideas were new or old bras, laundry soap, excema, etc. I recently tried shaving the hairs around the outer part of the areola. I have never done this before, but a doctor suggested I try this if I want to get rid of the unsightly hairs. The itchiness is not where I shaved, but closer to the nipple area. However, I wonder if there is a connection. I have heard of barber's itch and is it possible to shave around the areola and get a bacterial infection? Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks for any suggestions.

I have something similar going on, and it sounds like I've read much of what you read. My symptoms are ringworm-like patches around the areolas of both breasts, but it's worse on the right. Slightly discolored, crazy-itchy, then gets scaly and the skin flakes off a little. I've had something similar previous years - usually get it in the winter for a few days, but then it would go away after I applied some tolnaftate (in an anti-fungal ointment that can be used to treat ringworm). This year, though, it comes and goes, despite the tolnaftate. I didn't continue to apply the medication after the obvious symptoms left, though, so maybe it wasn't gone for good, but just beaten back, then recurred. I'm going to try either miconazole (Tinactin) or clotrimazole (Lotrimin) next, and make sure I wash everything I wore and the bed clothes, and not re-wear anything before laundering.