After having a successful total shoulder replacement one year ago, I'm interested in getting back into doing exercises for my upper arms
and shoulders.

I don't know if using weights, as I used to, would be wise.  Does anyone know or have any other suggestions?

It seems to me like it would be the best if you could first talk with physiotherapist about what would be the best way for you to exercise your upper arms and shoulders. Because, one thing is for certain - you must avoid all activities that have major impact on the shoulders, from chopping wood to lifting heavy weights. It's not only because of the artificial shoulders, but also, the reason why you had to have a shoulder replacement could also play the part in what types of activity you can participate in.

i wouldnt even risk it and if you do it be really smart and think...

I made a mistake my chest was strong but my shoulders werent, so I had a dislocation injury while working out and it has messed up my Rotator cuff and probably other parts of my shoulder I do not know about...

My point is though that you have had replacement surgery and you won, its working you are successful why take a chance of getting injured on that shoulder by working out? You will be putting yourself in the path of danger unless you do it really really intelligently...

Do not do any military presses or free weight heavy dumbells ...