Hi my friend wants to detox from a heroin addiction and needs help choosing which detox program, everyone is advising differently, one place is Focus 12 in Uk where you stay in a flat away from the centre and they use subutex , 10 week program, the other is CIta in spain where they have a 2 week program using methadone beta blockers and oral morphine ,24 hour medical supervision. she is not in great health. ANy help would be so appreciated thanks

You can help your friend by checking this stuff out for her. My daughter went to Albany for a 60 day program where she was treated with suboxone. Call any of your local hospital drug out patient services and talk to them, they can guide you. She was also an IV heroin user, her addiction lasted for 10 years and we almost lost her more times than i care to remember.
Today she is 18 months clean and just graduated from drug court, she goes to school full time and takes such great care of her son now. I'm not real nuts about treating one addiction with another but whatever works. I failed to mention she never made it thru the first rehab situation, she bailed a week into her stay. After several missed court dates there was at least 5 bench warrants out on her. I called the Sheriff myself and they picked her up. She was sentenced to 10 weeks in jail where she detoxed "COLD TURKEY" and she was sicker than a dog for days. After being released from jail, she was mandated to rehab for 3 months but she had to stick with it or be sent back to jail. After rehab she was mandated to a half way house for 6 months. She was also given 3 years probation and had to go to drug court and be piss tested every other day.

If you can help your friend detox then get her into a rehab after that's a good thing, we have a few local hospitals here where you get admitted for 5 days, detox, then go straight into rehab. Check your area hospitals and see if they offer anything like that.

thanks for your quick response! I'm delighted your daughter is staying clean and looking after her son well that is wonderful.
the problem here is they aren't great with advice at the hospitals as they want everyone to be on a methadone stabiliser for months first. My friend was on methadone and is off now, and smoking heroin. my concern is that she needs medical supervision - it seems like it would be dangerous to not be under medical care. on the other hand the rehab is important, i don't know if she will handle the 10 weeks away from her 3 year old.