My name is Katie, and I started my journey many years ago as far as my addiction. I took the usual path to heroin.... pot-alcohol-cocaine-crack-heroin. I was a full blown junkie by the time I was 18. I continued on until I was 24,and begged for help. I had been on heroin for years, and shot my last bag before entering detox.  In detox, I was transferred to methadone right away, so that time, I didn't get the heroin detox, but believe you me, I have experienced it many times on the street, and suboxone detox seems soo mild to me now.

Anyway, I stayed on 130 mgs of methadone for a year, and was tired of daily trips to the methadone clinic with hardly any take homes allowed in NYC at that time. So I ended up faking my way into detox to get off the meth. The dr.'s were terrible, because I said it was street meth, and they detoxed me quickly. I went down from 130mgs. to 50 in 3 weeks. It was bad! Detox from heroin and methadone were very much different for me. From heroin, I felt like I couldn't sit still, I was horribly irritable, even violent, and I felt like I was going to sink into the bed I was in and drown! but alas the detox only lasted a few days, and I slowly got better, but the despair was incredible.  From methadone, the detox for me, was quite a bit more physical. I started getting soo exhausted, then I was sick to my stomach, and halfway through, I was having diarrhea terribly and had no energy for the entire detox. But remember, my detox was continual in the hospital....10mgs every three day.   

So when I got to 50 mgs, I stupidly decided I was ready to make the jump off. I was incredibly immature at the point and stubbornly impulsive. But I did it anyway, and I eventually came back on at 20 mgs. because of the intense restless leg and above symptoms. By my actual jump off of methadone, I jumped at 10 mgs, but with methadone detox, the problem with detoxing quickly is, it all adds up. Let me explain..... If I detox 10 mgs this week, and don't take a 2 week break to level out, and I drop the next week 10 mgs, I am not just dropping 10 mgs, I am dopping 20, and so forth...... But I came off, and by day three in a residential rehab, I had enough days to finally get suboxone, and as I sat in that clinic waiting room, I felt like I was burning up.....on fire......  Anyhoo, I got on suboxone 24mgs and stayed on that dose for 3 months....dropped to 16 mgs and had no problem.  I stayed on 16mgs for 4 months, then dropped to 8. After awhile later, I had been on suboxone alone for 2 years. I felt a need to finally be off of maintenance medication after 2 years clean. And I leveled at 4 mgs for a week, and finally made my last jump off of 4 mgs suboxone two weeks ago. I'll admit, the detox isn't nothing, but it is vague for me. I felt quite tired and sluggish at my peak  of day 3 detoxing, but it subsided, and it took me about a week to end the physical symptoms. Now, the sleepless nights have slowed dramatically, and I had a few chills that first week. The biggest suboxone symptom for me was this awkward feeling like I didn't wanna be touched, talked to or confronted. I didn't answer my phone, and I know now it was just a hypersensitivity. Now, I am 2 weeks off everything, and on my way to a less complicated life....

Very helpful story, thank you very much for sharing. Thats wonderful that youre doing good these days! I've been on Suboxone for almost 2 years now (going monthly for my script). I started at 8mg/day and am still there today, mostly due to my fear of weaning down. Your story helped me a lot. It's got me thinking....I don't want to be on maintenance medication anymore. My drug past is faint in the distance but will not disappear until I can experience a day feeling good without the aid of any meds. I can't wait for that day. I'm just so scared to wean down. I have a good job and frankly am a HUGE baby when it comes to discomfort. I'm prone to migraines as well. I don't want this to interfere with my job. It's too bad I can't take leave to wean off. In a perfect world right? Lol Thanks for letting me vent. And thank you for sharing your story. Congrats on overcoming what a lot of people die of. I'm still trying to get my head around the fact of how much danger I put myself in during those "bad" times...crazy.