I read somewhere on the net someone mentioning Buprenorphine as a medication for heroin addiction treatment. Many stories I read and heard since and before that time, but I am very sceptic about the medications used for kicking off this terrible habit. My biggest problem is the very idea that some other drug can terminate this terrible and unforgiving sickness. What is exactly Buprenorphine treatment?

If approved by the FDA, buprenorphine, an analgesic, would join methadone, naltrexone, and LAAM (l-alpha-acetyl-methadol) as the fourth medication available for treating opiate addiction. Buprenorphine's unique effects and pharmacology make it an attractive and clinically helpful treatment option. For example, buprenorphine produces less euphoria than morphine and heroin. When compared with other opiates, it also causes a significantly lower degree of sedation and respiratory depression.