Hi, I have a fifty three years old mother. She has been suffering from depression on and off for six years now. Lately, I have noticed some changes in her behavior. She has told me that she has stopped seeing her friends because they are plotting against her. Allegedly, they are all spying on her every move. Because of that she has decided to leave the apartment only if absolutely necessary. Can you tell me what kind of condition is associated with paranoia and depression?

Hi, your mother is in serious trouble. The depression should have been treated more seriously. It seems to me that the depression has led her to paranoid behavior. The combination of two may be the sign of early schizophrenia. This is a very serious condition that demands professional treatment. You may also notice that your mother has trouble with paying attention and remembering things. Your mother should seek psychiatrist's help as soon as possible. You have to make her realize that she has serious condition that can only get worse without proper treatment. I hope that you will be able to convince her.