Hi, I have something to discuss with you some thing for the purpose of finding a normal explanation for my daughter’s behavior.
Recently I have noticed that my daughter is a bit depressed. I don’t know what is causing this because she is refusing to talk about this with me, but I suggest it is connected with her recent brake up with her long term boyfriend.
I have considered this rather normal and didn’t pay too much attention on it but it got serious when I spotted some scars on her hands just the other day.
She refuses to talk about this. Please tell me is there any connection between this and her depression?

I know few things about this because I am a medical student I have read something about self cutting.
Cutting is more common among girls, but guys sometimes self-injure, too.
Injuries may be located almost everywhere because people may cut themselves on their wrists, arms, legs, or bellies.
The purpose of this could be very hard to understand. It is called an unhealthy coping mechanism.
This means that the people who do it have not developed healthy ways of dealing with strong emotions such as breaking up emotions at your daughter.
People who do this cutting think that this will provide them relief from a terrible feeling. Talk with your daughter and try to convince not to do this anymore. Discuss with her about possible triggers of self cutting. Psychiatrist also isn’t the bed option!

depression and cutting go together i should kno i am a cutter have been for a year.it helps me any way release stress and pain when i cut i focus on how much my arm hurts not my real pain