Hi, I have been feeling depressed for some time, because my life is not developing as I expected. I went to see a doctor and he prescribed me some antidepressants. The tablets are not helping me very much. A friend of mine has told me that aromatherapy can help with depression. I am not quite sure how this treatment works. Do you know something about the use of aromatherapy in treatment of depression?

Hi, depression is a very serious condition that demands serious treatment. I believe that aromatherapy can help with depression, but only as a complementary therapy. You should not stop taking your medication without talking to your doctor first. The most important parts of aromatherapy are essential oils. These oils are extracted from plants and they have healing effects. Depending on the problem certain essentials oils are used. The practitioners of aromatherapy believe that the inhalation of essential oils has a positive influence on our general wellbeing. Aromatherapy massages are used for the treatment of depression. The smell of essential oils, together with the massage, is thought to induce positive emotions and relaxation. I suggest that you try aromatherapy. You have nothing to lose and it just might be the thing that you were looking for.