Hi - Every couple of months I am awoken (usually during a nightmare) with a horrible pain feeling like pressure in my rectal area. It feels like the sensation you get when you need to push for labor. I thought originally it might be constipation, but no. It radiates in to the vaginal area and really does feel like I am about to deliver a baby. The pain/pressure usually lasts about 10 - 15 minutes and then goes away, leaving a lingering feeling of fullness which then goes away after another 1/2 hour or so. Any ideas what is causing this?

I have had this type of pain on and off for years, usually at night. Eventually I asked a doctor about it. I would describe it as having cramp in the rectum/anus but I know what you mean about labour pain. I was told it was called "proctalgia fugax", which literally means something like "fleeting pain in the rectum". He said they don't really know what causes it and it is not usually related to any medical problem. It's obviously sensible to have it checked out, just in case. It can be really painful though. I expect the pain is causing you to have the nightmare, rather than the other way round.

After many years of having had an IUD, and after a lengthy period of not having used any form of contraception, I recently subscribed to a vaginal contraceptive ring, called the NuvaRing. Entering my second week of this new form of contraception, I find myself suffering chronic pain between my vagina and my rectum, often putting pressure consistent with that of labor, on my system. This coincides with my entering ovulation and I am convinced, the new form of contraception. It has become intolerable and I am about to remove the ring in hope that I can find some relief. The pain when it comes can take your breath away. The pain comes and goes and can make it difficult to sit at all. After having researched many sights regarding these symptoms, it would appear that there is a general ignorance by medical practitioners to this syndrome. I am thoroughly convinced that this a contraceptive issue and one that takes me back to the reason I went off the pill in the first place.

I have many similar pains, but I have not used any contraceptives in 4 years. I have a tilted uterus also, but supposedly there aren't any symptoms... I would love to know what it is because it is so painful!

snogrl- did you ever find out what was wrong? i have had the exact same thing happen.

I'm having really similar pressures.. 

i have gone to the doctors and they don't know what's causing it neither...

Please let us know if you found out what it is. 

Thank you

I have the same symptoms but also when I sit for any long time. I have suffered to no avail for the past several years.

I don't know how much longer I can take this pain. If anyone has any suggestions please e-mail me. I was told that I need internal physical therapy which I tried but was worse than the pain itself.

I also had this happen for the first time last night. I had hysterectomy in 1989, so I do not have the issue of IUDs or other b.c.. It is terrific pain and very unusual as described as giving birth. Would love to have an answer also.

This has been happening to me for about two months now and it wakes me a night, and now aches and pains on and off during the day.  The doctor had no idea - but it is worrying

I have had this every few months for years. I thought it was gas or something related to the bowels or hemorroids. I have had a hysterectomy from prolapse and a bladder and rectal prolapse repaired.
I noticed that the last few times it has happened, I could not urinate. Once I tried to relax and the urine started flowing, the pain subsided. I think it may be some sort of bladder spasm or something. I am going to ask the doctor. Even though the pain feels like it is in the rectal area, the bladder/vagina/rectum are all tied together. Please post if anyone figures out what it is.

I have had the exact same pain and described ybe pain exactly like you did. I took acetaminophen and it went away for a couple days but now it has been back for the past two days. Hurts when I dot at all and sometimes when I go walking. I haven't used contraceptive in two years, have no lumps or bumps and have tried Googling it, but nothing matches my symptoms neither.

I had hysterectomy 1995 with no problems until last few years. Every night I 'm woken with vaginal pain which is relieved by urination or having a bowel movement. Sadly, this goes on throughout the night at approximately hourly intervals, so I never get a decent night's sleep. I've seen a number of consultants and none of them  know what is causing these symptoms.

I had this frequently roughly 4 to 5 time per week. Come to find out I had scar tissue that had attached to the colon, abdominal wall, and the ovaries. Surgery was done because of the ovary pain I was experiencing along with the pressure in the rectum. Once the scar tissue was removed the problem went away. It's been two years since I have had the surgery and the rectal pain is starting to come back. So far I'm at about once a month being woke up by it. I was recently told by my gyno that since the rectal pressure is starting to return that is a good indication that scar tissue is building up again. I was also told that scar tissue can be a result of abdominal and pelvic surgery such as a hystorecomy, C-section, hip, and pelvic surgery. My scar tissue is a result of surgery on the pelvis and hip and multiple ovaian cysts. This is just what I was told by my gyno and my personal experience and by no means should used as medical advice. Contact you doctor or gynocologist.

Hi I have had the same symptoms for over a year now but it's only the week I have my nuva ring out. Come to find my best friend has the same problem. The worst pain is when I'm having a bowel movement. I've said something to my gyno but they don't seem too concerned. I love the nuva ring bc I can't remember to take a pill so I just deal with it. I figured maybe I'm dehydrated that week bc I know I don't drink enough water and the period week all that can be swallon and bloated as is. I went off the ring a few moths and didn't have the pain at all so this is why I've linked it to the nuva ring.

This seems to be a strange phebomenon...I had it too! Randomly! I am right between my cycle and ovulation. In glad I'm not the only one! I am not taking contraception, so I don't think that's the cause, Y'all! As many of you have cited that. It's like a dull pain. Thought I had to poop and that it was due to some pressure on my tailbone, but no--I got no action on the toilet! Walked around a bit and went back to bed. Thought maybe it was constipation. It's a dull pain between my anus and vagina...enough to wake me up in pain. Maybe I could equate it to labor-like pressure. I wonder if it has anything to do with, like blue box? Or getting sexually stimulated and not having sex, for a woman. Odd that there is no real information on this.