I've recently had hysterectomy and prolapse repair -- rectocele, enterocele. Prior to surgery I never had constipation. Now I feel constant rectal pressure as if I need to defecate. When I do it is relieved, but the pressure can come on soon after and builds up until the next time. Did my surgeon do something wrong? Or will this settle down? Should I be taking laxatives? I feel that when I do it irritates my bowel further. But being constipated is very difficult. Any ideas?

I ALSO HAD PROLAPSE REPAIR IN MARCH O7 AND NEVER HAD CONSTIPATION BEFORE THIS, BUT NOW I HAVE TO DO BOWEL PREPS JUST TO GO I HOWEVER DON'T EVEN GET THE URGE TO GO. I DO HAVE PAIN IN MY COCCYX AREA AND GENERAL WEAKNESS. I HAVE HAD BARIUM ENEMAS AND "THINGS ARE FINE" ARE WHAT MY SURGEON TELLS ME. I HAD AN ABDONIMAL APPROACH AND MESH IMPLANTS. ALSO SHE DIVIDED LIGAMENTS IN MY PELVIC FLOOR. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THIS IS HAPPENING BUT I AM SO TIRED OF IT. THEY JUST KEEP SENDING ME TO SPECIALISTS. I BELEIVE IT IS FROM THE SURGERY IT STARTED IMMEDIATLEY AFTER.

all of these symptoms could be caused from pelvic flor dysfunction. it can definately be caused from surgery especilly in the pelvic floor area. it is when the pelvic floor muscles go into chronic spasm. it is constantly misdiagnosed and over looked because unfortunetely doctors arn't even aware it exsists. you can goggle in pelvic floor dysfunction and tons of stuff will come up.

You can tell your doctor about your problem. It is not good to take laxatives. Do it the natural way.. drink lots of fluid, high fiber diet, ambulation is advised.

**edited by moderator**

kkw, i have the very same symptoms after the same surgery. it has been a few years since your surgery/symptoms and i was wondering how you feel and how it was resolved. thanks. :-(

i also have had a recent emergent hysterectomy secondary to uterine prolapse. I am now experiencing severe, debilitatin pain that radiated from my coccyx (tailbone) to my rectum. I am an avid runner, physical therapist and exercise instructor and this pressure has debilitated me and wrecked my life. specialist after specialist with no result. what was your final diagnosis. please help!!

I have the exact problem with pain and pressure from my tailbone to rectum. My surgery was on 10/1and I have been told its muscle spasms. Any advise would be appreciated.

I had a pelvic organ prolapse 2 years ago in February and have nothing but trouble. They put a bladder sling in as well and that made my bladder problems worse!!! Also I was always constipated but since my surgery ~ major problems and rectal pressure like I have never experienced! I think it's all from the surgery and it's just going to be part of my life now ~ NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT AT ALL. I try to stay positive and tell myself at least I don't have a colostomy bag! Could always be worse I tell myself but some days I really get down and have a good cry.

I had the surgery in 2000 and since have experenced the terrible rectal pressure. I was advised to have physical therapy for the pelvic foor dysfunction problem. It is not pleasant but did help the problem to some extent. Knowing what I know now, I would have dealt with the uterine prolapse treatment and not had the surgery. There are some many days I have to cancel plans and just feel so terrible.

i had surgery 4 oct 201 Anterior cystocoele repair posterior rectocoele repair perinerrhapy my surgeon didnt tell me they did my bowel as well not happy with hospital went home after op thinking it was bladder prolaspe about 4 weeks after that things went was having painful abdominal pain and been constipated  been like this for seven months had many tests nothing showed up like my fittness has been effected as i was into keeping fit it gets me down a bit i cry sometimes all so been in hospital about 5 times since nov last year is there any one else that could give me some advice i feel so alone cant take much more of this pain

I would like to know from any of you who did your operations please?

It sounds like every women on this post site and others have had the same surgery with the same after surgery complications. I am also looking for an answer. I can't even sit at all, plus I have prudenal nerve problems too. Constipation is also my main issue. My entire life changed! 2009-now, I've been suffering. My pain doc says that steroids shots on the coccyx area will relieve the pain for a short while. I plan on doing next time. Question... When you woke up from your surgery... Did you feel like someone hit you with a bat on your tailbone? I did and since 2009, I'm still in chronic pain. Will pray for you and all the ladies.

What surgery did you have and who was the surgeon?

HelloI have the same problem as do many others. I am trying to gather info to see if something more can be done to highlight this problem and find a solution.

Can you all please tellme who your surgeon was? What was the name of the procedure you had? If you have found a solution can you advise what it is?

i had posterior repair 4 weeks ago. up till now pain was mainly stitches healing but now I cant sit stand or walk with the pain in my lower back/tailbone. I feel so fed up cause its there even when I lie down I don't get relief. is it normal part of healing?