I had a partial hysterectomy and now I am spotting and having cramps is his normal? or what does it mean@

I see there were never any responses to the original question, but as I have the same question, I want to bump this post up again.

I had a partial hysterectomy five years ago -- only my uterus was removed, and that was done to remove a number of large fibroids. My surgeon was a firm believer in removing as little as possible, and as I was young (34) and in good health, I was content with his suggestion. I'd read that some supracervical hysterectomies can still result in a small amount of monthly bleeding from the cervical tissue, but my surgeon assured me that he would carefully and thoroughly cauterize the area and that this symptom hadn't been a problem for his previous patients.

Five years after my surgery, not only do I have a small amount of painless, bright red bleeding each month, I'm suddenly starting to bleed more heavily. I'm also passing small clots. This month, the bleeding has been on-going for over two weeks. As I said, there's no pain, but I'm starting to wonder if I've developed endometriosis somewhere? My surgeon assured me he checked for it during my procedure and found no signs of any, but could it have developed after-the-fact? Or, could I really just have this much bleeding from cervical tissue?

I've had negative pap tests my entire life, don't have sex with men, and haven't had sex at all since my surgery. My fears aren't things like cancer -- my fear is needing another surgery without health insurance. The first one cost me $10K, and I had the supracervical technique because the more invasive/thorough surgery through the vaginal canal would have cost $24K. I also only stayed in the hospital for 24 hours and had an amazingly fast and painless recovery.

Any thoughts from anyone who has been through this set of symptoms? Of course I will contact my gyn, but without health insurance, I want to be fully informed about what might be going on, and what my options might be, before I pay out a couple hundred dollars for an appointment.

Many thanks!

I've had negative pap tests my entire life, don't have sex with men, and have had the same partner for the last decade. My fears aren't things like cancer -- my fear is needing another surgery without health insurance. The first one cost me $10K, and I had the supracervical technique because the more invasive/thorough surgery through the vaginal canal would have cost $24K. I also only stayed in the hospital for 24 hours and had an amazingly fast and painless recovery.

Many thanks!

I've also had a partial hysterectomy, and I also spotted once a month for 2-3days. But, now I have some slightly uncomfortable cramps and I've spotting heavier than before with some blood clots for 6 days. I also don't have insurance. I know your feeling. How are you doing now?

Here I thought I was the only one :-) I had a lap supracervical hyster about 2 years ago now. I had complications after and lost a lot of blood, but that got patched up. Then I had another issue, but that's just another long story.

But, I have had spotting every "cycle" since my hyster. At first it was a very light thing and very dark brown. Over the past few months, I've noticed redder blood, a much longer spotting cycle (about 7-10 days now) and I noticed a little clot the other day. I don't typically have pain, but occasionally I feel some light pain in the lower left quadrant. I was told I had endometriosis that had gone into my cervix, and my doc tried to cauterize all that and take care of it, but maybe it's "growing" in my cervix.

I started researching this today, and found this post. I'm going to go talk to my GYN in the next month or two and see what she says. Is there anything they can do? I feel kind of robbed still bleeding each month when I don't have a fargin uterus!

thanks,
kim

hie, i had uterus only removed bout year and a half ago over past few months i have started bleeding and some aches could it be cancer ? i am going to doctor next week i will let you all knw what he tells me and maybe it will help you out too//

I too had a removed my uterus laproscopicaly a month ago. I went home in a day and have no problem until last week. I started bleeding and had 2 huge clots. My Doctor had advised that I would bleed for a day. So, I did not panic. But, I do feel tiny pinpricks of pain at the lower abdomen. I would like to know where is this blood coming from, especially when I don't have a Uterus.

Thanks

I had a partial a year ago, and although there has been no bleeding, I do occasionally have menstruation-like cramping. It happens at about the same time of month my period used to come and usually wakes me in the night, with lingering pain throughout the day.

I had a partial hysterectomy in 2006. It was done abdominally and I had a bladder suspension at the same time as I had incontinence since the birth of my twins in 2001.  Since that time, I have had a "small" period with spotting of bright red blood for the first few days, then brown blood for the last few days every single month.  On a follow up appointment, I told my doctor I was still bleeding for five days each month.  She cauterized and told me the bleeding would stop.  However, it still continues.  I saw a new gyn.  She told me that the uterus did not have a dotted line like a sewing pattern, meaning that when the uterus was removed and my cervix left intake, I might still have a small amount of uterus attached to the cervix.  Again, the cauterizing was done.  I was also told that my bladder had adhered to my cervix.  One year after the hysterectomy and bladder suspension using the mesh transvaginal sling, I began to have incontinence again.  I now experience severe menstrual cramping, migranes, I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and Narcalepsy.  Oh yeah,-I still have a period each month, and every time I try to explain the dotted line thing to my current doctor they all think I am crazy because I tell them I have had a hysterectomy but still bleed each month.  Once gyn asked me "when was your last menstrual period?  Oh yeah, never mind you had a hysterectomy", when I advised her I still bleed each month, she informed me that wasn't possible.  I responded I was bleeding right now.  While completing her internal exam, she did in fact see that I was bleeding.  She stated "Well I'll be damned, I do see some blood."  She never however apologized.  She also stated it must have been caused by something else, and asked me if I had had intercourse prior to my apointment.  Needless to say, I have a new gyn.

I had a partial hysterectomy late April 2013 due to fibriods.  I had my surgery and all went pretty well.  One month later I went to the ER with severe clotting and bleeding. At the ER they called my doctor that did the surgery and he had them release me to come to his office for a check up.  He said it was a hematoma and did not understand why because the surgery went very smoothly.  He said the bleeding would stop after the hematoma cleaned out in 1-2 weeks.  If did stop but a month later I started clotting extremely worse and the bleeding was horrible not to mention the pain again.  It did not stop and I had so much pain that was as bad as my past labor pains giving birth.  This time they admitted me and did several test and watched my hemagobin carefully.  I was on the prep op floor expecting another surgery but after two days my doctor told me again a hematoma and all would be fine in 1-2 weeks.  It once again stoped and 1-2 months went by I thought the worst was over. Then again there was bleeding was light streaking.  He felt around and said everything was in great shape and it heled nice but to expect some light bleeding here and there because there is a invisable line between the cervix and uterus.  Sometimes there is some of the uterus tissue left that causes this once a month.  I told him this streaking and heavy bleeding was coming and going for the last few weeks.  But he assured me that it was normal.  After that appointment on Tuesday I started Clotting and bleeding heavy and called him.  (I took pictures of all the clots and blood).  He told me to come back in Tuesday for another check up.  Once I got there he felt around again and I had light streaking.  I showed him the pictures and said there is no way this is normal.  While feeling around he told me that there is too much uterus left at the base of the cervix and that is what is causing the clotting, pain and bleeding.  Which I begin to wonder how or why last week he did not notice that before! Now he wants to remove my cervix to make sure that all the uterus is gone.  I wanted my cervix taken out at the beginning due to my first abnormal pap but he wanted and said this was the new recommendations.  He has always been such a great doctor but now I am worried about him doing the next surgery and others do not want to finish what he started.  I have been trying to find others that have dealth with the same problems and this so far is the closest discussion I have found.

Hello I was wanting to see what you all thought. I had a partial hysterectomy in October 9th last year and have been having problems with clotting and cramps intermittently since my surgery. Recently I have also been having pain in the inside of my vaginal where my cervix would normally be. Not sure if they got all of my cervix or not. I am concerned about this because I've noticed that it's increasing in intensity each time and I bloat up like a balloon. I still have my ovaries and tubed due to my age (28). Any suggestions would be great.

I too had a partial hysterectomy in 2009. A few years ago I started spotting again, went to ER was told it was due to ruptured ovarian cysts. Ok, followed up with gynecologist and my primary Dr. Both say everything looks good and Gynecologist confirmed she removed part of my cervix as well to a assure there would be no remaining uterin tissue. Well here I'm am many years later and bleeding has become much more frequent and cramping is horribly painful. Also, suffering very bad migraines for months at a time. Finally resulting in getting the Dathe piercing and Walla no more migraines for solid month. Today, I am bleeding dark clots, cramping horribly and migraine... I'm so upset and no one can give me answers, just continue to be puzzled.