I am diagnosed with periodontitis few months ago but I have never paid too much attention since it wasn’t bothering me. Anyway, lately I found out that long-term periodontal disease may cause even more serious problems. Those problems include higher blood sugar levels and an increased risk of heart attack and stroke. What especially worries me what that gum disease may even affect unborn child. Since I want to have a baby, I want to know more about my condition and how to treat it.

Pregnant women with periodontitis are much more likely to give birth to premature babies than women with healthy gums. That is truth, but and even if you don’t plan to became mother you should treat this condition. Problem with periodontitis is that plaque and tartar accumulate at the base of the teeth. Inflammation causes a pocket to develop between gums and teeth, which fills with plaque and tartar. Soft tissue swelling traps the plaque in these pockets. The goal of periodontitis treatment is to reduce inflammation, eliminate pockets if present, and address any underlying causes. Dental irritants, such as rough surfaces of teeth, should be repaired. General illness or some other conditions should be treated. It is important to have the teeth cleaned thoroughly, and this may involve use of various instruments or devices to loosen and remove deposits from the teeth. Extraction of a tooth may be necessary for advanced periodontitis so destruction doesn't spread to adjacent teeth.