Hi. I’m 24 year old guy and I have huge teeth problem. I wash my teeth at least four times a day but I still have persistent bad breath and bad taste in my mouth. I simply can’t get rid of it no matter what I do. I’m forced to constantly have a gum in my mouth when I’m with other people just to cover the bad breath. Also, sometimes I have bleeding gums, but that doesn’t happen to often. What is the cause for all this?? I’ve searched the net and found one possible cause - periodontal disease… Do you think that I have it?? Please help..

Hi. The symptoms you described are one of many for periodontal disease. The most common are: red, swollen or bleeding gums, bad breath and taste, receding gums, loose or shifting teeth and ill-fitting dentures. See if you have some other symptoms mentioned here – if you do the chance you have periodontal disease is high. Periodontal disease is an infection of the gums, periodontal ligament, and bone that surround and support the teeth. Cause of this disease is plaque that forms on teeth. There are many factor that can increase the risk and contribute to the development of periodontal disease such as dietary habits and use of tobacco or alcohol products.

Hi

I am not sure if i have gum disease but my gums dont bleed when i brush my teeth but i gums are white on the bottom of my teeth and my gums are kinda goin down. How can i take care of my gums ? I did have scaling and root scaling before. I do brush my teeth twice a day. Help me plz.
I dont want to lose my teeth.

THank you

None of you mentioned if you had a professional cleaning on a regular basis. If you are seeing your Dentist/Hygienist every six months as you should be then there is very little chance that it is periodontal disease. If you have not had your teeth professionally cleaned with in the last six months, the chances are high that it is periodontal disease. Your dental hygienist would be a able to diagnose this with a few x-rays and measurements.
Even if you have had scaling and root planing in the past, that procedure did not cure you. You still have to have regular perio maintenance cleanings to maintain the results. Sometimes these cleanings are as often as 3 months apart. You will have to do this for the rest of your life. Even if you haven't had periodontal problems in the past, you still need rountine cleanings every 6-12 months.
Someone mentioned that perio disease is caused by plaque. That is a misstatement. It is actually tartar(Calculus is the clinical term) that forms from plaque. This calculus can form below the gumline so that you do not see it. The calculus harbors bacteria which causes an infection of the gums that leads to a loss of the bone below that. Once you lose that bone it will never grow back. But if you get proper treatment, you can maintain the current level of bone.
If periodontal disease is left untreated, you can lose enough bone that you eventually lose the teeth that bone is holding, hence loose teeth being a symptom. But this is in very advanced perio disease. In the early stages, when it is also easier to treat and maintain, you will most likely have no symptoms.
My advice to anyone is to be sure you are having regular exams and cleanings with your dentist and dental hygienist.