Hello! I have periodontal disease gingivitis. My gums are very red, and swollen, often bleed and hurt when I eat. It drives me crazy, and I really want to get rid of this discomfort as soon as possible. That is why I am wondering if I can have a surgery. Is there anybody who knows?

Hi there! I think that the dentist is the one who should evaluate if you are a surgery case. I believe that they will try some other treatments first and medications and if this doesn’t help, then the surgery may be an option. There are two types of surgeries. One is a flap surgery where your gums are lift up in order to get tartar out, and there is “bone and tissue grafts” surgery. In the B&T grafts, a small piece of mesh-like fabric is inserted between the bone and gum tissue. In this way the gum tissue cannot grow into the area where the bone should be, and bone and connective tissue can re-grow then.