Hi, my boyfriend told me that he has a personality disorder. It probably has something to do with his obsessive hand washing and fear of bacteria. Can you tell me what this disorder could be?

Hi, I suffered form the same personality disorder in my 20’s. I couldn’t touch anything that other people touched before me, because I was terrified o bacteria and dirt from their hands. If I had to touch something, I would have to wash my hands immediately. My mother realized that I had some personality disorder, so she sent me to a shrink. I hated this idea, but I had no choice. I went to therapies for a very long time, until my symptoms disappeared. This personality disorder is called obsessive-compulsive disorder, and it’s possible that your boyfriend has the same condition. He should start with a treatment as soon as possible, because it will be much more difficult when he gets older.