Hi there. I am diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder. Since my doctor told me about this diagnose, I didn't go to see him again. Why? Because I do know that he will prescribe some medications for me and I really don't want that. I am scared to use any type of medications, I start to panic - probably without a reason, but I can't help it. 

So, I did some research and I saw that there are some natural treatments for this. I would like to know more about this, so that I can tell my doctor that I want something else, beside usual prescribed meds. 

Can you give some recommendations for natural treatment plan for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

Tnx!

Well, that is one very bad move! You should go to see your doctor after this diagnose, because it can only get worse. You are being irresponsible. Whenever I had some problem, I went to my doctor and I have told this to him. The same thing is in your case - if you are scared of medications, you should tell this to him. 

Sure, there are so many good natural treatments, but you can't use them without consulting someone. I was reading that  nutritional/herbal approach to OCD focuses primarily on boosting natural serotonin levels and to a lesser extent boosting GABA levels.But I am not sure, so you should really check this. 

I am being irresponsible just because I am scared? I don't think so. I think that I am responsible enough because I went to see my doctor when I started to feel some symptoms, when I started to feel differently at the first place. So, I did something about this. Yes, maybe I should see him about this and tell him that I don't want any medications, but I didn't. And there is no way back. What can I ask him about this natural therapy? It's been three months since I find out that I am dealing with it, but I don't believe that this is that long time that this disease could develop even more. This is not that long time.

Well, when you have issues like obsessive compulsive disorder is, than three months is pretty long time. You should go to see your doctor as soon as possible.

I know that people do believe that some home remedies are good in this case, but I am not sure. Those are the things that you should ask your doctor as well. 

For example, you should eat nutritional foods. You should change your eating habits and you should start to eat healthy. Also, you should avoid caffeine, heavy drinks and coca - cola for example. 

Do some exercises. You can try yoga, meditation and deep breathing as well. 

Hey Jeke,

Have you heard about cognitive behavioral therapy, do you know anything about it? It is a kind of psychological therapy which has proven to be useful when treating obsessive compulsive disorder (and many others). These kind of disorders are always treated with psychotherapy and that is why you should not talk to your doctor, but you should talk to a psychologist. Medications can be useful in lowering the effect of your symptoms, however, medications will not help you in any way to overcome this disorder (although only a small percent of people are capable of completely overcoming obsessive compulsive disorder).

Eating Boss is right, you need psychotherapy. I only know this because a cousin of mine is suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder (I can't stand him by the way) and he is talking to a psychologist twice a week in order to get better and he is feeling better, at least that is what our relatives say. This is all I know about this, I also know that he is not using any medications because his psychologist told him that it would be the best if he wouldn't use any medications for this matter because they cannot really help him much.

Exercise, meditation, and getting enough sleep are very important if you really want to overcome this disorder or to ease its symptoms. If you can combine all of these things together, sleeping long enough, meditating, exercising, and visiting your psychologist, I can assure you that you are very likely to get better pretty soon if you commit yourself to this program. It is not that hard as it might sound, you just need to start and you shall see how good you are going to feel. Just don't give up, a lot of people give up, continue with the program until you get better.

Some lifestyle changes should be useful but I think that it is useless to try and treat obsessive compulsive disorder without psychotherapy. However, the thing is, I don't think that you can ever completely overcome this disorder but I guess that you can learn how to cope with it and make the lives of those who are close to you a lot easier. Because, you know, sometimes when someone is suffering from a personality disorder it is a lot harder for people around this person than it is for the person who is actually suffering from this disorder, I think that you get my point.