Yesterday I heard that my good friend has Borderline Personality Disorder. I’m not sure that I know exactly what this disorder is. I want to know much more about it because I want to help somehow if it’s possible. So, please, can somebody explain to me what's Borderline Personality Disorder? Thanks!

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in moods, impulsive actions, chaotic relationships, unstable self-image, and behavior. This instability often disrupts family and work life, long-term planning, and the individual's sense of self-identity. Patients often need extensive mental health services. With help, many of them may improve over time.

Hi there,
I have read somewhere that borderline personality disorder is characterized by long term patterns of problematic emotions. They often have problematic feeling toward themselves but feelings can be steered to others as well. There are several reasons for this condition to happen, for instance if person was abandoned when he was a child or if he had disrupted family life. Do you know if he when to any of these things when he was younger? I think that the best option for your friend now is some individual therapy with the professional. This is very helpful, and if I am not mistaking dialectical behavioral therapy is the best option for your friends problem.
Best wishes,
Marco