i'm 6 moths pregnant and have smoked pot on and off during my pregnancy. I have stopped smoking because I heard that they will take your baby away if it tests positive. Will my baby still test positive if
i quit smoking 3 months before she is born? How long does it take for marijuana to get out of the baby's system?

If you quit now, you and your baby will probably test negative at birth. However, if you're receiving prenatal care your ob/gyn may be already running drug tests on you and will notifiy CPS upon birth of your baby. As for your baby being taken away, it really depends on what state you are in. If your baby is taken away, you will be presented the opportunity to complete treatment and prove yourself clean and sober for the safety of your baby.

Best of Luck!

I hate to tell you but in the state of NC any baby born early is drug tested- the first poop of the baby is tested and it goes back until you were like 5 months pregnant.

I know this because my pediatrician told me my newborn testes positive for THC but the results were "unconfirmed." I denied the results and they was nothing they could say because results were unconfirmed.

How long does drugs stay in the amniotic fluid. Im talking about all drugs not anything specific.

Maybe you should all stop taking drugs while your pregnant!

o.O maybe you should get off your high horse & realize that some drs are aware of the use of marijuana during pregnancy and its less harmful than taking tylenol! i hate ppl who are closed minded about things in this world & still decide to spew their bs all over to pregnant women who are looking for answers and support!

When you are pregnant and you know that you are pregnant and you still choose to take drugs,you are being very selfish.I dont know where you are from but where I am from there are clinics that women can go to to get off the drugs.If you are getting seen by an OBGYN they are probably already testing for drugs.If you get help while you are pregnant than they wont take your baby away but if you continue to use the drugs yes they will take your baby away and they should!!!!!!!!!!!

There's no scientific proof that marijuana affects the fetus in any form, if you smoke occasionally. If you smoke 2+ joints a day is a different story. Do research before judging or talking what you don't know, marijuana has benifits, unlike ciggarets and alchohol (which is a legal drug).

no scientific proof? WHYY would anyone take the chance? Theres no scientific proof there is NOT harm being done! Anyone that selfish is going to show the same selfish attitude when the baby is alive!

i love it that no one has googled anything or gotten real facts to post.just another place for opinions that are not useful or helpful to anyone. thank you internet..for yet again nothing more than opinions.yaay

I smoked pot occasionally with my first child and he DIDN'T test positive for any drugs and he's freakin brilliant...so don't believe the hype.

Marijuana has absolutely no documented effects on the development of babies in the uterus.  In fact the only research that has been confirmed suggests that children born to mothers who use marijuana during pregnancy have better social and cognitive behaviors.  I suggest looking into the research Melanie Dreher did for more than 10 years on the subject.  The US government actually stopped funding her research once it was concluded that there were no negative effects.  From what I have heard, some doctors support using marijuana for various conditions that arise during pregnancy.  This is of course only if the mother brings it up...a doctor is not going to just suggest it.  I have also been told that unless there is reasonable suspision a drug test will not be performed.

Some of you are so ignorant.  How many mothers to be smoke cigarettes or continue to drink caffeine? Do your research and you will find that marijuana use has little to no impact on development to anyone.  It grows straight from the ground yet ignorant, right wing conservatives continue to bash marijuana use.  How is a pill that is cooked up with non organic chemicals better than something that is all natural.  Oh that's right it isn't!!! The us government and pharmacuetical companies are in a big business together and care nothing about true health.  They just can't figure a way to make money off of something that anyone can produce themselves.  Marijuana is not a bad thing when used appropriately...preferably with a vaporizor or in some edible form. 

Get a life and quit telling mothers or anyone for that matter that they are bad and selfish!!!!

yet no one answered the damn f*****g question...

ok, there is def scientific proof that it DOES NOT affect the fetus.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***
Dr. Dreher studied the use of cannabis during pregnany for 10+ years, and found that it caused no birth defects, no brain damage, no problems whatsoever. So for those of you with your head still up your you know whats about this, just back off, think what you want, but your opinions are completely biased, just because you think that pot is this big terrible drug, when in alot of countries, its actually recommended by drs to pregnant women for back pain, headaches, nausea, and many other symptoms. So, for one your baby will be fine:) two, I've read that as long as you didnt smoke that much, and you stop about a month to two months before you'll be fine:) good luck with you baby!:)

oh and everyone else, shove it. do your research before you say things to people, it just makes you look ignorant:P