I have been smoking weed a little less than a year, and about 5 months ago I began experiencing increased hunger, without smoking. I figured at first it was just me getting hungry, but now when I smoke my stomach begins to growl continuously. Even if I had just eaten and I smoke just a few hits, I dont have an appetite, but my stomach is empty and it feels like I have to eat. Could this be my metabolism increasing from smoking pot, or just naturally speeding up. A friend of mine mentioned it can stunt your growth, so if this is true please let me know whether its a big deal or nothing to worry about. Thank you.

It could be because you smoked for so long and while you smoked it was taking nutrition from your body, even though you were eating. So when you stopped your apetite probably went up a lot because your body was trying to heal itself from that long term use of weed.

no man your friend is a dumb ass ok put it this way about the growth thing my dad is 5 foot 8 and never smoked weed he said he did it ever now and then but never got into it my grandfather who was all milatary never smoked and is 5 foot 9 now we have me ive been smoking since i was 12 and im 510 200lbs of muscle i have a great body and my girl loves my sex so tell your friend to learn a little before opening his mouth....Weed does not speed up you metabolism it does however trigger you brains hunger glans witch will tell you your hungry even if you just ate

I have been smoking for like 2 yrs.
Iv'e noticed the same thing but
i think its normal! but idk good question!!

I'm but this is a RIDICULOUS question, as a pot smoker you should KNOW that different kinds of pot that can make you hungry even IF you had a 5 star meal. Of course your going to get munchies and to be honest the reason that your feeling hungry IS BECAUSE u got the MUNCHIES godam.

i dont know what metabolism is but what you are going through is called the muncheys you could have just eaten 10 lbs of food then smoke some weed you would still get hungry but it is in your mind you could not eat any thing but that usely brings your high down relly fast or you could eat the good thing is that you could eat any thing even healthy stuff i actualy lost 50 lbs in 3 months smoking weed cus evry time i got high i eat stuff that was good for you i was 6''1 240 lbs muscular but i gained 120 lbs in a year cus i broke my leg and arm in the same year so i couldent work out and i piged out :-P

I cant believe there are so many stupid people, how can you really diss weed. It hasn't harmed anyone even till this day, get your facts straight. I'm currently 17 smoking for a good 4 years now going steady at an average of 3-4 times a week. I'm 5'11, 190 pounds, captain of my schools wrestling team, and could outrun half of you fat f*** who say weed is bad for you. It dosn't make you stupider, and im living proof of that with an 83% avg in all my courses and already accepted into U O T for my undergraduate BSc. The only reason weed isn't legal is not because its not safe but because it would be to hard for the government to monopolize it and make a profit, seeing as how it can be home grown. And for all the pot smokers out there don't touch touch those death sticks (cigarettes) just get better weed, and if you wanna stay healthy like me dont blaze with papes, use a pipe which is 70% cleaner or a Bong which filters out all the carcinogens and gives you nothin but sweet THC 90%cleaner. Or if your a rich mo f****r go buy a 600 dollar volcano vaporizer, 99.999999% cleaner, its not smoke its vapor so your doin no harm and your gettin higher than ever cause your gettin 99% of the thc. Arnt I smart or wat

let me clear some stuff up for you...

a bong does not filter out all the carcinogens. its no where near 90%.

you are completely wrong about the government legalizing weed. not everyone would just "grow it themselves". that takes alot of hard work and care and time to get a small amount of weed. it would be MUCH easier to go to a store and buy a cheep, taxed amount of weed. but the government wouldn't be making its profit off weed if it were to be legalized. it would be the hemp that would become the next largest cash crop in America due to its extremely versatile properties. it has over 5,000 uses; including paper, rope, fuel etc.

its also not legal because the politicians who were activist against weed in the past dont want to turn around and say they were lieing or they didnt have the knowledge. either way they arnt getting promoted to the spot they wanted.

sorry OP, i don't have an answer for you.

The reason you get hungry is beacause weed lowers your blood sugar. It has no significant effect on metabolism.

Curb this by:
Drinking milk (it makes you feel full)
Drinking plenty of water (fills you up)
Eat something with sugar in it to raise your blood sugar

While none of these cure the munchies, they can help.

Or just give in and pig out. Not the healthiest option obvioiusly, but if it's only every once in a while it won't effect you much.

Doesn't matter what you smoke out of, weed is bad for your lungs. Ever get suck-through on a glass pipe (yes, even the nice ones)? That sh*t, along with tons of tiny particles of sh*t with every hit, goes into your lungs and stays there for a long time. Smoke all you want, I do, just get your facts strait.

Smoking anything is very bad for you, and pot is no exception.

To all of you that seem to have a problem with Mary-J! There is very little evidence that has shown whether smoking pot is harmful or helpful to your health. If you're going to trash something, at least have the decency or intelligence to back up your argument with some cold hard facts/statistics. I have looked online, and in medical journals (thanks to my local campus library) and have found very little. There simply is not enough research done on that subject matter. If you still want to continue grobbing on and on about how you know it is bad for the mind, use me for an example. I have currently been smoking for a few years now. Although I have noticed my memory is not as sharp as it once was, when I smoke, I have noticed it return when I put the pipe down for a week or two. However, my critical thinking has improved slightly. (Backed by several Mensa tests saved.) I have a 129-132 IQ still, and am in the midst of my Masters in Educational Psychology, and yes, am currently teaching. Point is, I, along with several of my professional friends and colleagues have not noticed any long term complications to smoking weed. And until we do, looks like the plant is here to stay! :-)

Smoking weed makes you hungry, its just that simple. And to people who say smoking weed is dumb, why do you care? Why wouldn't you want to do something that makes the environment your in way more fun. Smoking weed is not a bad thing because i,e the government say it is i,e people call it a drug i,e your mom is fat. Smoking weed is for a special kind of person, one who doesn't care what people say, just wants to have fun on their own time. And FYI I love rice. Thank you and here is one thing the President of are great 50 state of America and Bums with in those state have in common. CHANGE!

well i just cant believe the comment about 'smoking doesn't make you stupider'.....'stupider' that's not a word you id**t, thought you were supposed to be clever!!!!!

Yeah pot does speed up the metabolism. I smoke all day every day. If I'm hungry and I decide to smoke before I eat I realize while I'm smoking that my appetite will go away. Even afterwards when I'm high I still am not hungry. When you work out,you never want to eat right after your done.Right? And marijuana speeds up your heart rate, if you smoke I'm pretty sure you realized you heart beating faster then normal.

i have been smoking weed for 9 months i have lost 30 pounds over the last 9 months from smoking weed it speed up my metabolism and when i do get the muchies i just eat a salid and im good :-D