HI! I saw my neighbor last night. He looked awful. His face was so red, with some ugly looking skin. He noticed me being appalled by his appearance, and he told me that this condition is called Freys Syndrome. We didn’t talk much as he was on a way to see his doctor. Is there anybody who can tell me what this is. Thank you!

Hi there! Yes, I know how bad Freys syndrome may look. I developed it after having parotidectomy done. It was an operation of removing a part of parotid gland. After the surgery my cheeks just became red, and flushed, and I was sweating a lot especially during eating. This happened because the nerve supply to the gland regrew to supply the sweat glands of the overlying skin instead the parotid gland. This condition may develop after a trauma to the parotid gland as well.

I have just had parotidectomy i am starting to experience freys syndrome my skin is not red just very sore when eating and sweating when i get warm .will this last long or is there any cure for it

I have freys syndrome - took about 10 years after surgery (parotidectomy) for it to come to light.

It doesnt go red or look puffy or anything but is necessary to wipe away moisture building up onthe cheek whilst eating.

It will last for life I reckon but could be much worse so I am not moaning. Any 'corrective' surgery will cause other problems so I certainly wouldnt bother with that

The surgeon done a good job, the scar is hidden as much as possible in the jaw line and I did not have any damage to the nerve which would cause temporary and somtimes permanent facial damage.

Hi, I had a parotid tumor (benign) removed in 1976 --32 yrs ago and I am just experienceing secretions on the side of my face when I chew anything. I had an MRI done and according to the Head and Neck physician, it is something that should have occured one yr post op. I am not sure if I am satisfied with this answer, WHY 32 yrs later??

Hi. I had my parotid gland removed due to a benign tumour 3 weeks ago. I have sweating down my neck when I eat - no redness. I have been told to try a non-irritant deodorant in the interim and, if permanant, Botox to paralyse the nerve is an option. I have not tried either yet a my wound is still healing and i don't know if my condition is permanent

You are BLESSED Janet! I had this surgery in 1982 at 27 years old. I almost immediately had symptoms but they are almost intolerable now at 60 years old! ARGHH! Over the years I have had to apologize to dinner guests (professionally and casually) about my "sweats" on the left side of my cheek/head where the benign tumour was removed. Now it literally DRIPS water whenever I eat Balsamic vinegar dressing, Mexican, Spanish, Italian, or any food spicy or whatever requires chewing hard (steak etc.). I heard recently that BOTOX INJECTIONS CAN LESSEN THE PROBLEM. I am going to contact an ENT tomorrow. I only tonight saw this message board. I'll share anything I learn with the rest of you.

I had parotidectomy 20 years ago (1997) and the Frey's syndrome symptoms started about 2 years later. It appalled me at the beginning but the surgeon told me to just keep a napkin by my side while eating. I have done that ever since. It was better than getting the parotid tumor back! Lately I do feel that the amount of sweating has increased. I also saw a Head and Neck surgeon and she advised getting Botox injections (about 6-8 around the ear). She said that I would have to get the injections every 3 months as the Botox treatment is not permanent. Getting multiple injections on my face did not appeal to me so I have not tried it. I am in my early Forties.