Hi, my husband is diagnosed with Paget’s disease. It’s completely strange to us, to be honest before his diagnose I never heard of it. If someone has some experience with this disease I woould like to hear the impressions. Thank you in advance!

Paget’s syndrome is skeletal disease, characterized with chronic inflammation of bones, leading to thickening and softening of bones, and bowing of long bones. Paget’s disease mostly affects middle aged and elderly people and is more frequently seen in men, but more severe in women. These patirnts have an increased risk of cancer (osteosarcoma). The cause of the condition could be an inherited weakness of the immune system or a virus, or both. In Paget’s disease bone has lost capability to renew itself, because normally bones rebuild completely about once every eight years.

I was diagnosed with Pagets about 13 years ago. I was having difficulty walking and they determined that due to the malformation of my posterior ilieac hip crest that I was having problems from inflammation. I was treated with physical therapy and medications. All symptoms resolved without a problem. I do have to sleep with a pillow under my knees as it cause me a great deal of back pain to try to have my knees flat on the mattress. I just had surgery on my neck last Monday, June 19. They fused C 4/5 5/6 6/7 by replacing them with cages, held by screws and a metal plate. No one can tell me if the Pagets was a cause or if the degeneration happened due to age and use. I am a 47 year old female. Otherwise the Pagets has not been a problem for me at all. Good luck to you. Don't let it get to you and just live as fully as possible.