Can someone tell me something about carcinoid syndrome, please? It is about half year now my dad has some weird symptoms and it all started with its skin flushing affecting his face and upper chest –his skin would become pink to reddish and he had persistent breathing trouble but we were ignoring those symptoms until he started having frequent diarrhea followed by severe stomach cramps so he went to see a doc. finally he got blood test which showed he might be having carcinoid syndrome according the high chromogranin A protein high rates in his bloodstream and also his urine consists some substance that indicates he is positive on carcinoid syndrome. And anyway those are results from yesterday and he is scheduled for another appointment with his doc today and I would now like to hear this carcinoid syndrome –what is it and could it be treated?

Your dad has a very rare tumor type and in fact carcinoid syndrome is a condition where this tumor secretes serotonin and other chemicals which are then spread to the bloodstream causing your dad described symptoms –so carcinoid syndrome actually is being treated like cancer and in more severe cases carcinoid syndrome treatment includes surgery followed by chemo. And if carcinoid syndrome shows out to be so widespread made of numbers of tumor than usually no surgery is recommended only some shrink tumor treatment. One of my cousins was diagnosed also with carcinoid syndrome and I remember he was treated with Sandostatin –it is an injection he was given once monthly which was suppose to slow down the tumor growth reducing its symptoms at the same time but I also know that in some people these injections may cause serious side effects.