My doctor prescribed me something called Provera. I know that is some kind of hormone our body should produce on its own. I guess mine is not doing proper job, so I need synthetic kind. I want to know how it affects placenta. It was looking important to my doctor but he didn’t trying to explain me too much. Also, I would like to know if there is difference between Provera and natural kind of the same substance.

Synthetic Progestins such as Megestrol and Provera compete with the receptor-binding sites normally reserved for Progesterone. Progesterone if is taken together with these synthetic hormones will not work. Because the prescription drug that your doctor gives you is patentable with the ability to make much profit, the molecule is altered. This can’t cause stimulation of the receptor site in the same way the natural progesterone does. The artificial hormone frequently has dangerous or annoying side effects. Progesterone is what your body produces as natural hormone. Provera and Megestrol are patented artificial hormones with serious side effects. A woman produces about 20 mg per day of progesterone from her ovaries during the latter part of the menstrual cycle, before menopause occurs. During pregnancy the placenta begins to produce progesterone, 400 mg per day. That is why it is called progesterone. “Pro” means "for", and “gest” means "gestation". After you stop taking Provera, or after placenta stop producing it, there can occur post partum depression.