Do you think the United States Post Office will ever go out of business in our lifetime?

No, but stamps will be $10 each.

no, but it may be downsized considerably

They have been losing market shares for years, though.

They are trying to get into certified e-mail.

The USPS handles more packages in two weeks than UPS, FedEx and DHL handle in one year combined...

Where is the source for this statistic??? (seriously).

USPS also brings more c**p to my mailbox every day than UPS, FedEX and DHL combined.
Quality > Quantity

That's an interesting question. I suppose it might as it's purpose for existing may become moot. It's original purpose was so that people could communicate safely and reliably. When I began driving the US Mail had the supreme right of way on the highway. Driving a mail truck you did not have to stop for anything including that pesky guy with the blue lights (back then I think they were red) behind you. Your mission was to get the mail to the next post office and turn it over to the postmaster there. No stops that might allow someone to board the truck. Most of us did allow fire trucks and ambulances to get by but never stopped for the cops. In the 30s my father worked for the local post office in our small town. He had lost his license and when the post office replaced the parcel post horse with a truck the postmaster gave him the job of driving it. The local police chief was pissed when he saw my father driving around town in that truck and there was nothing he do about it.

Quality > Quantity
:1: :1:
When we were on a WEEK vacation they ended up filling our box with so much c**p that they couldn't stuff the real mail in there anymore. So, I had to go to the P.O. to pick up my mail. I threw away all but about 8 pieces of mail. UNBELIEVABLE amounts of c**p!

My friend went to work as a mail carrier and had to do push ups when he called it junk mail. :umno:

that junk mail is a gravy train of revenue

Dude. I love our USPS. They delivered over 150 packages for me this summer with only 1 mistake.

They delivered these boxes to Iraq within one week--and for only 7.70 a box--regardless of weight.

No one else does that.

Question: why does the usps sponsor Olympics and athletes?

That's Bulk Mail!

they are a business just like UPS and FEDEX