I went to the doctor about a month ago. He thought it might be mono, so he wanted to send off a blood sample for a mono test. Because I was paying out of pocket, I asked him how much it would cost and he said $15-20. He said to call him the next day (for results I suppose). I called him 2 days later and left a message for him to return my call. Never got a return call, never any indication of results. I was feeling okay, so I didn't really care. Today I got a bill in the mail for a mono test, $64. No results, and the name on the bill is off by several letters. I'm thinking it will never reach my credit report with a name like that. Of course I'll try to track down the doctor on Monday, but it's bullshat. I hate doctors.

yes, pay it.
First off, blood tests are always expensive, and secondly, they are more expensive when you don't have an insurance company knocking down the cost.
I hate to say this, because you were totally mislead, but you need to pay it.
Maybe you can send a copy of the bill to the physician, and advise him not to give out unwarranted advice.

yes, pay it.
I would say this is why blood tests are so expensive. Insurance companies have really inflatted healthcare costs.
would I pay it? I don't know... if money was tight, I would put it off for a while.

i didn't say to pay right away.
I agree, if money is tight...they can wait.

exactly. wheel and deal backend. Insurers screw doctors upfront and thus retail price for those that pay cash is absurd. Eye docs and dentist will knock off 10% if you pay cash before you leave...other specialities should start doing this (at "least" 10%). So in a way you are doing it backend. The doctor isn't going to take you to court for that small amount. They may send you to collections. Strike a deal then or write the doctor and "offer" a smaller amount. Happens all the time. In fact, I'd probably write that he said it'd be $15-20 and that's what I'd offer. We wouldn't pay $6 for a Big Mac if the menu said it's $2, would we??