If you're having a new washer installed, or in this case, a new heat pump system, how much do you normally tip the guys who put it in? Or the moving people when you move? I never quite got this concept......and no, none of them is the owner of the company, I don't think. But there's two here now and two more coming and I am already paying a ton for the damn heating system, which I wasn't expecting to have to replace yet. :?

However, they DID come today and will have the unit installed before quittin' time and I've had them out before and they are really nice people.

HELP!

I probably wouldn't tip them.

I probably wouldn't tip them.
:1: Especially if they're repairing the item while it's under warranty.

They're not. The unit is 15 years old and I'm prolly the last of my neighbors to have theirs fail. It was actually only about $500 more to buy a new unit because the parts are so expensive, so I am getting a new one installed. Is it my ex-waitress mentality that makes me want to have to tip everybody?

I usually don't tip repair people. I like to tip delivery people, but hubby and I disagree on this one.

waitress mentality? maybe, or 2) not used to any type of customer service , or 3) just darn happy to have it fixed

Yep. Just remember that most people are paid more than 2 bucks an hour. That oughta help you.

I'm starting to see why you're single
Sue, me too on the delivery people thing. My dad used to tip them and I guess that's where I get it from. Today I'm going with "darn happy to have it fixed AND to have my damn PECO bill cut in half now that I have a system that will actually WORK."

It's your call (what a cop-out answer this is!). But from your quote above, I think I know which way you're leaning on this.

And there may be something to the waitress/tipping thing. LC worked in waitress and tip-gererating jobs (like the motel maid where she cleaned the room with the dead person still in the bed). She way overtips - 33% is not uncommon. Having worked as a cook, and never getting any of the promised-by-the-waitresses cut of their tips, I seldom do.

i've tipped furniture delivery guys before, because they seemed to be breaking their backs, literally, for me...

never tipped a repairman. i had one here yesterday (sunday)...he gave me a new box thingy on the computer but i didn't tip him.

i don't think tipping is ever a bad thing.

WOW, You got the cable company to BRING YOU a replacement box? Their office used to be a quarter mile up the street from me and I had to go there myself. Now they closed that office and the nearest one is 15 miles. I still have to go there myself to get a new box.

I spent my life doing home service and we almost never got a tip. There was one family in the 50s who had us move their TV from home to their beach cottage and back every summer. We all wanted that job because they gave us $5 to split between 2 of us. The owner of a local apple orchard always called us to his office after repairing his TV to give us an apple. Don't remember anyone else ever giving me a tip in 50 years of home service.

I wouldn't tip the repair people. I would think the falling over unexpectedly would make them angry. No one wants an angry repairperson. Besides, didn't snopes say that "repairperson tipping" was just an urban legend????

I would never tip a repair person/installer type. But I would offer a drink/coke/etc. during install (or when they are leaving).

I've had idiots offer me a beer while I'm working on their TV.

Really? Maybe you should enlighten me.

A box of festive seasonal Easter Peeps would be appreciated I'm sure.