I had a metal pin placed into my foot. Approximately 6 months afterward I started to receive joint pain throughout my body and I started to display a very bad rash. I have gone to doctors for years now and they have ruled out rheumatoid arthritis, I have had all types of tests and no doctor has figured out what is going on. At this point I am taking very strong medicines to just deal with the symptoms. I just realized that none of the doctor's know that I have a pin in my foot and I have been told by some people that I could be allergic to the pin in my foot or that the pin started to disintegrate and cause problems. I also found out that my niece is allergic to metal alloys and that, if I have the same allergy and the pin is an alloy, this could be the issue. I have gone to the doctor who inserted the pin, but he does not know what the pin was made of. I am also having a difficult time getting other doctors I have been working with to consider this possibility.

Has anyone had this type of a reaction to metal inserted into their bodies or knowledge if this is a possibility? Does anyone have a suggestion as to what this might be or what type of doctor would be able to review the entire problem? Doctors are now recommending treatments where I have to inject myself and I feel that they are providing point solutions for each of the symptoms rather than finding a reason for all of them.

Please let me know if you need more information or could suggest something.

The comment that your doctor does not know what lind of pin was used seems strange to me. I had ACDF (neck surgery) and even the lot number from the implant is recorded! I had to go through the hospital where my surgery was done to get the info. You might try calling them to see if they know what type of metal was used.
Maybe pins are different, I don't know.
One other thing I've learned after having my surgery is that if any metals are used in implants the doctor/surgeon should do a skin metal reaction test. (Mine did not do one either!!!!)
After you find out what type of metal was used, seek another doctor, tell him your symptoms and demand a metal reaction test. I also remember finding a place on line that you can order such test from but they are very expensive and you have to mail them asap. It would probably be easier finding a doctor to do it.
I can't remember for sure but I think I did a search for metal alloy allergy testing.
Hope this helps!

Very good site, excellent content, I will recommend to my group of readers in the university, I found very interesting article on the internet, including this ...
weird-phobias.com that control your life.....: The humongous list of phobias that you can have find anywhere shares the same characteristics, like the fear of dentist or doctor. Phobias and Fears are emotional reactions to an uncomfortable situation that causes physical and mental responses. Some of the symptoms that affect all of these weird phobias and fears like fear of success or fear of long words include:

1) Horror, terror, confusion, fear and uncontrollable feelings of panic.

2) Unawareness that phobias and fears go beyond.

3) Acceleration of heart beat, extreme sweating, trembling, breathing problems.

Very good site, excellent content, I will recommend to my group of readers in college too, I will leave an input ----> Women smokers By now, we are all aware that smoking is bad for you. Yet more and more women are taking up the habit, in part due to the media image presented of gorgeous women smoking cigarettes and presenting a glamourous image. What kind of effects does this have on women's health, and what can we do about it?

Hi. Something strange also is happening to my right foot, where my doc put a pin in to help with dropfoot. Granted, the surgery was 7 years ago. However, I'm now having severe itching and swelling in that foot only. No one seems to know what's causing it, and nothing (ice, ibuprofen, compression wrap, elevation) is helping the swelling on top of my foot. Is it possible to develop an allergic reaction to the pin over time?

That's most likely the case. I'm having a similar reaction. In 2002, my dr put a washer in my right foot to help with dropfoot (I have cerebral palsy). About a year ago (maybe 2), I started itching very badly in that foot. Sometimes there was swelling. Nobody could tell me why. Not even the dr who had put the washer in my foot. He just said it was neuro-dermatitis and prescribed Benadryl. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Topical anti itch stuff has never helped. Thank God I stumbled onto this site. I now know I'm not the only one.