Hi. I am a woman 22 years old and I have a problem. A am overweight, and everything I try goes up in smoke. I tried some diets, but they all ended up just with me adding some more pounds. I heard a lot of great things about doctor Atkins diet, but I have absolutely no idea what that diet could be. Is there anyone who tried out this diet? Does it work at all? Thanks in front.

I used this diet, and I can say that it is absolutely fabulous. Basically, you just order this book – over the internet, and in that book, you can find meals you can cook for yourself. They are all low fat, by the way. But that isn't just all. It tells you what when, and how much to eat. So you just know what the score is.

Hi Rafaelita, sorry it's now more than 2 years since you posted your question about Dr. Atkin's diet, but I just happened to stumble on it when I was looking for something else. I'm sure you've forgotten about this question, but just in case someone else stumbles upon this question like I did, I believe I will refute Gabriella's answer to your question because it is mostly very inaccurate. Actually, I'd be surprised if Gabriella had read the book she refers to, or gone on the Atkin's diet at all.

Here's why: While she is correct in saying that you can order "this book" over the internet, it is in NO way a low-fat diet. The book also does not "tell you when and how much to eat".

The book you can order is called Dr. Atkin's New Diet Revolution, and, while there are several versions of this book, the 2002 version is the best and most widely used. The reason the 2002 version is more widely used is because after that date, the actual Atkins Company started writing parts of the book that Dr. Atkin's himself never recommended. Once he died, thecompany started manufacturing shakes and meal replacement bars that have many ingredients in them that are known to stall weight loss. The Atkins products that you can buy in grocery stores count "effective carbs", which is quite a bit different from the actual carb count, if you read the labels. Sugar alcohols found in these and many other "low carb" products, are neither sugars nor alcohols, but they ARE carbs and should count toward your daily limit, depending on which phase of the diet you are on.

I ordered his older version, used, from Amazon.com, and I read it cover to cover before I started the diet. Gabrella is correcton one point: it is a fabulous diet! As you may have guessed from the previous paragraph, it is type of low carbohydrate diet, but it is also a high fat diet. There are 4 "phases" to this diet: Induction, On-Going Weightloss, Premaintenence, and Lifetime maintainence.

Induction is the shortest (about 2 weeks) and most restrictive phase of the diet. You are allowed on 20 grams of total carbs per day during this phase, and those 20 carbs should be coming from the servings of vegetables that are on the "acceptable for induction food list" that you can find on the Atkins website. You must also drink lots and lots of water, while shunning soda, coffee, alcohol, and juice of any kind. Even drinks like Crystal Light contain some carb in the form of artificial sweener, even if the label says "0 carbs". Eggs and cheeses also contain some carbs, which is why they are limited during induction. Bacon, sausage, ham, and even some types of frozen chicken breast will contain sugar or corn syrup, and should be limited. Fresh meats, like beef, pork, chicken and fish are all acceptable, as is a small amount of whipping cream. You will lose the most amount of weight on this phase of the diet. If you think you need to stay on the Induction phase longer, then go for it. That would be called "extended induction". You should lose about 10% of your goal durig this time. Be sure to do a clean inducton, using only foods from the acceptable foods list, or you may not lose much weight. Be sure to start over from day one if you cheat or slip up.

On-Going weight loss comes right after Induction, and this is when you are allowed to start adding some carbs back in to your diet. This phase has "rungs" in which must be climbed in order to continue losing weight. As an example, say you've finished a clean 2 week Induction. Beginning the first day after Induction ends, you are now allowed 5 more carbs per day, for a total limit of 25 carbs. The catch is, you must sill continue eating your 20 grams of carbs from the "acceptable for induction" list, and your new allotment of 5 carbs should come from the On-going Weight Loss list of acceptable foods, rung 2, which I believe is berries. So, as an example,your dinner on the 15th day coud be a plain rib eye steak, a salad made from acceptable veggies,with sliced hard boiled egg, crumbled bacon, blue cheese and zero carb Ranch dressing, and 1/2 cup of plain sliced strawberries with a couple of spoonfuls of Splenda sweetened whipped cream. Once you see that the rung 2 foods aren't stalling your weight loss, move up to rung 3. At rung 3, eat all of the induction foods, all of the rung 2 foods, and add in 5 new carbs from he Rung 3 acceptable foods list for a total daily carb count of 30. You'll have 9 rungs to climb, with the last rung being whole grains. Make sure to give each rung a few weeks efore moving onto the next rung. If, at any time during these rungs, you have a stall (which is defined as no pounds lost AND no inches lost for 6 weeks), go back to the previous rung, start losing weight again, and jmp to the next rung. You may be sensitive to what ever was in the previous rung that caused you to stall. The end of this phase is when you are within 5-10 pounds of your goal weight. Durin this phase, I found it helpful to keep a food and weight journal so I can see what stalls me and how many carbs I am able to eat while still losing weight at a good rate.

During premaintence, your goal is to slow your weight loss down to an almost unnoticeable rate by adding another 10 carbs week from any of the rungs. Make sure to note yourweight and carb level each day. When you have reached and maintained your goal weight for about a month, this phase is done. What ever your carb level is at this pont is called your ACE.

Lifetime maintenance is just that: staying at your ACE carb level for the rest of your life. This is different fro everyone and can range from 40 to 120 grams of carbs.
Hope this helps!