I had dull, aching pain that I was feeling along the medial side of the tibia. It started to annoy me so I visited orthopedist. He told me that was medial shin splints, caused by problem with posterior tibial tendon. I can’t see connection between posterior tibial muscle and name of this disorder. Can you explain to me more about my condition?

Medial shint splint is condition where periosteum of the tibia is damaged. Tendon of posterior tibial muscle is the one who’s overstressed and pulling periosteum away. Once that dull, aching pain starts, any activity usually aggravate it. Tibialis posterior is an antipronator due to its insertion on the medial aspect of the foot. During over-pronation tendon of tibialis posterior is stretched and pulled upon excessively thereby attacking the weakest area. Namely it is origin on the periosteum of the tibia. Pain and chronic inflammation is caused by small pain fibers of the periosteum which are torned. Something similar is anterior shint splints caused by tibialis anterior which is antipronator, so during over-pronation has to fire constantly to oppose it. That causes swelling or hypertrophy of the tibialis anterior. Both conditions and anterior and medial shint splints are treated the same. Since the problem is over pronation, patient should be fitted with othotics and will likely experience relief. There is a high rate of success with that orthotics.