Hello! During last month I had such discomfort in my legs. There was pain and swelling on the inside of ankles, tenderness over the mid foot. I was so weak, and wasn’t able to stand on my toes. I went to the doctors and he found out I suffer from posterior tibial tendon dysfunction. I have never heard of this before. Anyway, the doctor recommended rest, gave me some nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and has immobilized my foot with a rigid below-knee cast. Now, I am wondering what happens if these treatments fail. Are there any surgeries available?

Hi there! There are actually a couple of surgeries that are used to treat posterior tibial tendon dysfunction. But, if this is the case, your doctor will recommend you one according to your individual case. Here are some possible procedures: Tenosynovectomy, in which the surgeon cleans away and remove any inflamed tissue surrounding the tendon. Osteotomy, in which the alignment of the heel bone is changed. Tendon transfer- This procedure uses some fibers from another tendon to repair the damaged posterior tibial tendon. Arthrodesis, in which one or more bones are fused together to eliminate movement in the joint. This stabilizes the hindfoot and prevents the condition from progressing further.