I've been on a running program for about two weeks and the shin splints (atleast thats what I think they are) are killing me! I've read about ice/heat, massaging them, wrapping, etc. I've done most everything I can and they refuse to heal.

The pain is just above my ankle on the inside of my legs. When I run it feels like a muscle issue, like a sore muscle or something, but afterwards it feels like a bone issue, like deep in the leg.

So anyway, does anyone have definitive cure-all :)? How about some exercises for prevention? I was thinking strengthening calf muscles would help...

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
Brad

Brad,

I don't think you tried it all yet...first you must find the reason for the pain, then you'll be able to prevent it after resting enough. Anyway, there are compression sleeves, changing to new running shoes with extra medial support, or orthotic soles and more...

There's good info here, it would help you:

Shin splints are a given when you first start running. Decrease your running volume for now and then gradually increase it as the pain subsides. Once you get over this hump you'll likely never experience it again.

I'm not sure if you will never experience it again. At least for me I get shin splints often. I just have to ease up a bit and then it is fine. It's hard because I like pushing myself, but I guess I just push to hard.

Shin Splints or as now known Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome, can develop into a long term debilitating injury. You need to have your mechanics assessed by someone experienced in gait analysis, most likely a Podiatrist. What happens to your foot and lower leg at heel strike needs to be investigated. Footwear, training program, surface and anatomy all need assessment and addressing to allow for future injury prevention that may end up more severe.