Hello Everyone,
This is my first post here. I have looked around a bit and it looks like there is some good information here.

Unfortunately, I found this forum due to a problem I am having. I've been running for the past 7 years or so. In the past 4 months I have increased my distance, duration, and frequency of my runs. Things were going great and I was feeling like I was in the best shape of my life until I started experiencing some ankle discomfort.

I say discomfort because "pain" is a little too sever sounding. It seems that when I am running uphill I feel something of a tendon pull/shift on my inner left ankle.

I've done some research online and the symptoms seem to point to the tibialis posterior muscle. This makes more sense since I have the tendancy to pronate while running.

I've taken some time off and purchased some heat moldable insoles to provide better arch support. Today was my first day back after nearly 2 weeks and things seemed to be going well until the start of my 3rd mile. I started to feel the same ankle discomfort/tendon shifting. I walked for a few feet and then continued running without incident.

I'm not sure what I can do to remedy this situation and I am still not sure exactly what is causing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

EDIT: I have searched this forum for similar issues to no avail.

Are you running on an uneven path, as in you have to lean slightly one way when you're running? If so, that could be what's making it feel that way, since the "discomfort" could be the added stress on the ankle. I doubt its overtraining, since you said you took 2 weeks off and you still felt it.

Try massaging that area next time after you run, and stretching your shins and calves.

The path(s) I run are generally very level. I tend to stick to bike trails.

How much have you increased things in the past 4 months?

If it is just discomfort, I would probably back off the intensity for a week or more until it subsided. If it does begin to get painful you should get it checked out.

I'm going to disagree with xsprint and say that based on the info, it sounds to me like overtraining. 2 weeks isn't a heal-all time, particularly for tendon issues. After that 2 weeks off, I would have started with an easy 1 or 2 mile run to test it out and slowly built from there with a series of short runs for a week before bumping it up. It may not have been ready for 3.

Are you wearing appropriate shoes? How many miles do they have on them? If you've recently increased the amount you run, it's easy to underestimate the mileage on shoes.

How much have you increased things in the past 4 months? .
Actually its six months now that I think about it. I was doing 2 miles on a treadmill (Buffalo Winter) from December to March. In March I was doing 2 miles outside. Now I am up to 4-6 miles. I went from 3-4 days a week in December to 6-7 days a week now.
Yeah I was trying to do a short 2 mile easy jog, but I went with a group and the competitive side took over.
My shoes are Saucony Grid Cohesion (I realize now that they are not supportive enough which is why I bought the inserts) They are only a few weeks old and given the injury I've only run in them 4 or 5 times. Maybe 30 miles or so.

Anyone else have any ideas?