I am 6 days post-op and had no idea this surgery would be this bad. I decided since I had to have the plantar fasciitis and heal bone spur surgery that I would just get my bunion and hammertoe corrected at the same time. BIG MISTAKE! I was unaware of the pain I would have to go through and the worst part is that because the plantar fasciitis surgery requires a cast for two weeks, I have not been able to ice my foot at all. The first day out of surgery wasn't too bad. My foot was numb but there was a little pain. Day 2 post-op was a little more painful. I did have to take hydrocodone but soon realized that they did not work to relieve my pain at all. I ended up calling my doctor for stronger pain meds. They ended up working great but make me very sleepy. Day 3 was far more worse than the first 2 days because all of the numbing medicine had worn off. I stayed on my couch with my foot propped up and only got up to use the restroom. Day 4 was about the same as day 3. I did go back to work but could only stay 1/2 day due to the pain. After surgery, I had a splint made out of cast material that went up to just below my knee. It was heavily bandaged. I had my first post-op appointment yesterday and the regular cast was put on. I have to say, I was very shocked at how horrible my foot looked. I have 5 incisions and a ton of bruising and swelling. The cast again is only because of the plantar fasciitis surgery which I have had ABSOLUTELY NO PAIN with. When they put the cast on, it felt too tight because of the swelling and it hurts 10 times worse now than it did before the cast. This is currently day 6 post-op and I am back at work with a pillow on my desk to prop my foot up on. Heaven forbid I stand up because when I do, the blood and fluid in my leg and foot race down to the bottom of my foot causing excruciating pain. I can only stand up for about 5 minutes before my breath is completely gone from trying to "take" the pain. I can only hope it gets better from here. Once the cast comes off 13 days post-op, I will then be placed in a walking boot for 2 weeks. I can only dream of that day now because I know I will be able to ice my foot any time I need to. I have not been able to ice my foot 1 time due to the splint and now the cast. I know if I could ice it, the swelling would have a much better chance of going down quicker.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If there is anyone out there looking for advice on bunion/hammertoe surgery....please do not think that this will be a walk in the park. This surgery was my 21st surgery. I am 33 years old and have had 14 knee surgeries alone. I have had 3 total ACL reconstructions and the rest scopes to clean out torn cartilage. I have had bunion surgery in middle school on each foot, hammertoe surgeries on each foot, a c-section, and a few other minor surgeries. THIS SURGERY BY FAR IS THE WORST I HAVE EVER HAD. Do not take that lightly. I was on crutches for 9 months with my first ACL reconstruction so it was not easy but I never would have imagined anything ever being worse than that. I now have 4 screws in my foot along with 1 dissolvable pin in my second toe. I can bear very little weight on my foot but hope each day I can put more and more weight on it.

If you are considering having plantar fasciitis surgery and need bunion/hammertoe surgery or it was suggested to just get it all done at once.....DO NOT DO IT! From the experience I have in the past 6 days, I have learned that there is VERY LITTLE pain associated with plantar fasciitis surgery. The only discomfort I have had with that part is the incision rubbing against the splint/cast. Because the plantar fasciitis surgery requires a cast for 2 weeks and a walking boot for 2 weeks and if you are considering bunion/hammertoe surgery at the same time, you will have WORSE pain with the bunion/hammertoe part of it than the fasciitis because of the splint/cast.

I am due to get my other foot done (bunion/hammertoe only) in December and I am seriously considering not doing it. Please consult with your doctor before considering all of these corrections at one time. My doctor made it sound like it would be a very simple and easy surgery to recover from. HE WAS WRONG! If you do decide to have the surgery, make sure you plan to take at least a full week off of work.

My turning point was at about week 2. The cast was put on 5 days post-op, I started walking 7 days post-op and had to walk 5 days in the cast. Due to the pressures being put on my foot, the cast was very uncomfortable and caused a lot of pain. Once the swelling went down a little, I was more confortable but still had to walk in a cast that was hard. Having a nerve release, a tendon transfer on my 2nd toe, a piece of my 2nd metatarsal cut off with one screw, a wedge cut out of my 1st metatarsal with 2 screws, and a wedge cut out of my proximal phalange with a screw, and a bone spur removed on my heal doesn't exactly feel comfortable to walk in a hard plaster cast. Now that I'm in the walking boot, I'm doing MUCH better. I've decided to go ahead and schedule my right foot for December 22nd. I wish I could do it before that but I have to do it while my work is on Christmas break. It'll give me 6 full days to get back to work. Wish me luck!

WOW!! I'm so sorry your going thru soooo much pain. I'm on my second week from my right foot bunion and hammertoe removal. I also went for my left foot at exactly 2 weeks. I'm experiencing more pain with my left foot for what every reason. I wanted to share with you my vitamin selection for healing

-Zyflamend-anti inflammation
-coconut oil softgel-prevent infection
-Arnica-topical gel
-Arnica/montana(oral/dissolvable)-Bruising and muscle
and liquid calcium
-symphytum-promotes healing of bone trauma

all these are from mom's organic market or whole foods. I know this is a lot but its all natural and my doctor seems to be impressed with my healing so far.

I hope your doing much better by now.
God Bless you

I had all three surgery myself 10 days ago I am already walking with a surgery shoe the pain was controlled easily with pain meds. Wore a walking boot for a week then stitches were removed. Dr. says it will take several months to be pain free but the pain now is less than the pain from the plantar fasitis. Most of my pain is in the area of the bunion and hammer toe. Would I do it again? as of today, yes.

I just had bunion/hammertoe and metatarsal fixation surgery 5 weeks ago. One more week until my cast comes off and I get a walking boot! I commend you for going back to work so soon. I thought I'd be up and about in a few days on my "knee roller.". Not! While the knee roller is useful, no one will be as grateful as me when I can walk again. I'm just glad the worst is over-- I think!

I had bunion and hammertoe surgery 3 weeks ago and would have done them separately in hindsight. I agree that this is the most painful surgery I have ever had and that includes a c-section and a previous bunion repair and others. The hammertoe pin creates so much swelling that the pain is extreme. I had to go the ER the day after surgery because of the terrible pain even though I was religious about taking oxycodone. In hindsight I would have done each surgery separately.

I would have made sure to have at least 2 wks off for so much surgery done at one time.  I am sure your work schedule didn't allow for that, which is unfortunate.

I am glad I read this post, as I have plantar fasciitis in both feet and my left foot has a bunion that I have concidered having removed for at least 18yrs. I was going to ask my doctor if she would advise for or against me having both surgeries at one time, if I end up having surgery for the plantar fasciitis.

At this time, I have been going to physical therapy, doing ultra sound and now ionopheresis which pushes dexamethasone into my plantar fascia. Also had steroid injections. Next week I will be starting Extracorpreal Shock Wave Therapy. I'm trying everything before having surgery. My work doesn't allow me to be off my feet long, only for breaks. I can get medical time off, but only 50% pay. :(

Either way, I will probably wait for that bunion surgery.

I hope your surgery goes well for you in December. Best of luck!