Hello I had a bunionectomy done on my left foot in November of 2012, and I was feeling pretty optimistic after reading multiple stories of people recovering, jogging, even resuming all regular activities in scheduled recovery time. Well after 3 long months I ditched the crutches for a boot and it seemed like I was progressing except my ankle was constantly swelled. I followed with constant icing and elevating the ankle but nothing changed. When I finally started walking (limping) I noticed the swelling was still there and quite painful so I went to my doctor. He told me it was nothing and part of the recovery, so continue my stretches, and so I did. Weeks later and my ankle is still keeping me from walking regularly, and wearing a proper normal shoe. I went back and my doctor took a closer look and determined that my Achilles tendon was swollen and I would have to take PT. Well 2 hard weeks of PT and stretching, I thought maybe I'd finally solved my problem but I haven't. I'm almost into my 6th month since surgery and my ankle is still swollen. Everytime I get up, I have to stretch out my foot or I'll have a slight limp, my ROM is still prettty limited, and after trying jogging I threw in the towel. I'm very discouraged from not hearing any similar stories and that I've been away from my passion of tumbling for almost half a year. Any advice would be much appreciative.

Hi guest,

I don't have experience with this as long as you do and I also don't have a success story yet either.  My lapidus bunionectomy was on March 8, over 9 weeks ago in fact almost 10 weeks on Friday.  OK, so non-weight bearing for first 6 weeks.  Partial after, swelling and pain have never been resolved and got progressively worse with the partial weight bearing, and obviously still have those same issues today.  My doctor (Orthopaedic surgeon specializing in Foot and Ankle) says this is normal and can take up to 6 months to even a year to resolve.

So to what I all had done.  Keep in mind I am 38 and this was due to genetics.  Lapidus includes a mid-foot fusion with 2 screws in the mid-foot this is where they had to shorten bones and readjust them to realign my big toe from the actual bunion (halgus vallus?), 2 screws.  The bunion was shaved off beside my big toe.  And I also had what's called, hypermobility and that a tendon/ligament gets released/cut this happens between the second and big toe.  Painful procedure.  So during the surgery they usually freeze the foot with the block, well for some reason it didn't take in my foot and from the moment upon wakening I felt the excrutiating pain of the surgery which continues today, not excrutiating anymore but still painful that I take my perc's and dilaudids still.

About 4 days ago I started to full weight bear, this is approx 2 weeks after doc said I could, but I felt not ready.  Well, from that moment I started getting pain in my foot where it wasn't before.  My surgery is pretty much on the right side of the foot but I get really bad pain on the left side of foot and ball of foot, often times I wished I had my crutches with me as I feel I can't walk at that moment.  I'm not bugging my doctor again as I already did that once to hear "it's all normal" for the stupid, painful half hour drive there and then again back.

I guess I am feeling discouraged by reading your post and would've thought that I would be further ahead then what I am or planned to be.  I'm not getting depressed as I stay on this site feeling useful by replying to people's questions but I just want my little girl at home with me again and to go back to work and not feel this pain anymore.

Sorry for the long post but I often feel that no one understands and I'm hoping you do?

I completely understand! This surgery has been a long process. I'm 19, a college student, and am completely impatient! But, my surgeon knew how active I was so he tried something a little different. I had the bunion sawed off as well, and one of the bones in the big toe removed and fused. Yet, instead of having pins inserted, I have a screw placed where the bone was fused and a hook sticking out on the side of my foot to keep the screw from moving! The hook came out almost 3 months following surgery and the screw stays in permanently. I know the recovering process seems to take forever, and sometimes it seems as if your back to square 1, so I set a few mini goals for myself and just continue my stretches and hope that it'll be as if the suurgery never happened.