:'( I had bunion surgery November 17th 2005. It continued to hurt and swell for month. I finally went to a different Podiatrist than the one who did the surgery as the first podiatrist kept saying "It just takes time."
The second podiatrist took an x-ray in November 2006 and the bones at back of big toe had not grown together. That's where the screws and staples were and they weren't helping a thing, only making the bones like swiss cheese as they moved about. i have been in a cast for 9 weeks now and using a physio stim which is supposed to help the bones get together.
I talked with a bone specialist and he said surgery was the only way to get the bones to grow together as it has now been 14 months since the bunion surgery. I don't know what to do. !

Oh my, I can not believe your story. I am sooooooooo sorry for you. I TOO have been fighting this forever. I had a lapudus bunionectomy on October 28, 2005. I have had 6 surgeries, finally a natural bone fusion. Bone taken from my hip and fused in the foot. It had been 15 months totally NON WEIGHT BERING. In and out of cast, surgeries, and finally after several months of PT I took my first steps on january 22 this YEAR! It's been a very long and painful road. I am sorry for you. I would appreciate hearing your your story and I pray that you don't have the same Dr. that I did.
Sincerely,
Sherry 8-|

I too had had this surgery done. I did it on both feet on the advice of my surgeon, which proved to be a very bad mistake! My surgery was done in 2003 and still today, April 2007,I am still in agonizing pain and take pain killers around the clock. It started while in the Recovery Room and has never stopped. My Dr kept saying that "it takes time," but 4 years? My left foot has left me disabled.(I had surgery in my 30's) and my right foot still hurts. I have a non union in my left foot and was told that I have developed RSD/Chronic Pain Syndrome which is severe damage to the nerve resulting in severe pain, sitting or standing. Even though I still have to have my left foot corrected, nobody(dr) wants to touch me. It is VERY VERY SAD AND EXTREMELY PAINFUL TO LIVE like this. Please do your research,(I did), and ask, ask and ask questions. I was told that mine was medically necessary. I would have NEVER, NEVER,NEVER,NEVER EVER had this surgery if I knew that it would be like this. Please pray for me.............