I will have a Ludloff Osteotomy Bunionectomy on Jan 18, 2011 at the Rothman Institute. I am getting anxious, as not enough information was given to me about post operative mobility and expectations. I was told that from day 1 - 14 I am to remain with foot elevated above heart and get out of bed just to go to the bathroom. Here is where I have questions: After 2 weeks until week 6 I am still with my toes strapped, and am allowed to walk on the heel of my foot only. I will either have crutches or a walker, whichever the therapist decides is best. What can I expect as far as mobility at that point? I have never used crutches before. I realize my foot will still be swellen and perhaps in pain. Should I resign myself that I am not to do any housework or cooking for husband for 6 weeks? I also have a cat to tend to. I am 58 years old and am retired. I know I am fortunate that I don't work, that is why I finally am making the time to get this done. I have suffered with this bunion since a teenager. I even lost a toenail because the progression of bunion caused an ingrown toenail. I would appreciate any advice so that I can be less anxious knowing what to expect and plan accordingly.
P.S. I will be full weight bearing for final 6 weeks in a surgical shoe. I was told the last 6 weeks are the best.

As with most surgeries, rate of your healing depends on the condition of your health. My mother (she is 56 years old) had been told about the same amount of information; basically, it’s a standardized procedure, and I think they have a checklist of pre-operative information they will give you before Ludloff Osteotomy Bunionectomy. The crucial thing is not to move unless necessary and to keep your foot immobilized, at least for the first two weeks, but I do mean absolutely immobilized – housework will just have to wait. Since you going to have this surgery after years of problems, shouldn’t it be understood that you will need time for recovery – and help from those close to you? I know you are used to worry and care about everyone else, but then you will be the one who needs all the care. You will definitely be in pain, and will be given stronger painkillers. Bunion removal is a serious surgery – they are cutting all the way to the bone, and the pain is something that never really goes away, especially in the former bunion area, but as the results of operation it isn’t the same – neither in strength nor in type. Wish you all the best!