Hi. I`m 40 years old and recently was diagnosed with a muscle disease called dermatomyositis. I suffer from muscle weakness and have some sort of a purple rash all over my face, neck, upper cheast and back. I was prescribed with a Prednisone and not sure that is the right med for my condition. Also, would like to know what is the prognosis?

Hi. My daughter has dermatomyositis and exactly the same symptoms. She also has a problem with swallowing. A steroid drug, such as Prednisone, is the first step when on treatment. Prednisone is ineffective on my daughter and she`s on immunosuppressants. Doctors say that intravenous immunoglobulin is effective and safe in further treatment. Also, there is a physical therapy. About the prognosis, well, most persons with dermatomyositis respond to a therapy. You should be fine.