I went to the doctor last month for lower adominal pain, i found out i had a cyst 2 cm. it was 1.7cm but grew to 2cm in a week.
well I had my follow up a few day after it ruptured adn it turned out i had Multiple cysts, the doctor i had seen neglected to tell me othe the other cysts on my other ovary.

Ok so the gyn doctor tells me she thinks i have Polycystic ovarian syndrom and it could be the cause of my weight gain, my body hair i have been getting and the wonderful wisker like hair i been getting on my face.
I have Mirena birthcontrol and dont want to part with it anytime soon.

So im being placed on a pill to help me ovulate. which on Aug 31 i go back to see my doc about it after having blood work.
Right now i cant wait. Im tired of the pain im getting. Sharp pain with the buring sensation from a rupturing cyst. I get a few days out of the week( been dealing with this for over a year with no answers of why till now).
I know i was told to head to the ER when i feel the pain but at this moment whats the ppoint any more when its hurting and rupturing this much. I swear if i wasnt wanting more kids i would just opt to have the dame ovaries cut out so i wont deal with it no more, but im 22 so i cant. They wouldnt even do it on me period cause of my age.
I was on some amazing pain killers but they wont give me anymroe of them cause they are addicting from the side efffects they give(which those wore off on meafter a week of taking them) Im stuck with the gut wrenching pain.

Its sad when your own body is against you like this. Ive already strated a weight loss goal and lost 6lbs in a week =). Im Obese ( 100+ over weight) been this way a year or so after my first period.

I wanna hear from other woman who have this condition and could give me some insight on what they have been through and going through. I hate feeling alone on this and would love insight from others who have had this.

Hi Familychick

Ouch! Sometimes with PCOS its hard to work out what's worse - the pain, the facial hair or the multitude of other physical effects like weight gain.

The good news is that you can treat it successfully (and yes, I've had it and treated it successfully). Your ovaries are likely over-producing androgen hormones, male hormones that girls also have but in smaller quantities.

Naturopathic treatment of PCOS revolves around calming that androgen over-production. We do that with a no-sugar, low grain, high fibre, high protein diet. LOTS of exercise and stress management strategies. And herbs to heal your ovaries so they stop making cysts.

You will need to get permanent hair removal done like electrolysis or IPL to get rid of the whisker hair, but its important to get your androgen levels down before you start, otherwise it will take too long.

When you get your blood tests done make sure you pick up a copy of the results for yourself.

Good luck - let us know how you go with your new blood tests.

Regards, Olwen :-)

Yeah but stress for me is 24-7. Military wife, raising 2 kids, and in a rocky marraige thats on thin ice. Money and debt issues and or car breaking down makes it even harder to do stress control.

Ive started the Alli diet and walking. Ive lost 6 lbs in a week so im on a good start. Im aiming at walking a mile in 30 mins, im at 1 mile in 32 mins. Its a big step for me cause ive never done anythign like this before.

Great! Exercise is one of the key strategies in treating PCOS. Go girl! :-D

Can you explain this to me? I didn't know that you could treat something like PCOS with exercise. My sister has it and I'm sure she'd like to know that! What sort of exercise?

Hi bluedog

PCOS is classed as a 'syndrome', which means that there is generally a collection of different problems that cause the same effect, but they've been lumped together under one name for convenience.

Women with PCOS often present with insulin resistance. Insulin is a hormone produced by your pancreas that has the job of carting glucose around your body and assisting it across your cell membrane, so your cell can produce energy. Insulin can only do this if the cell is asking for it, which it does by putting out a 'receptor', kind of like a flag saying 'glucose please!'.

With an inactive lifestyle the cells don't need more glucose, so they stop putting out these receptor flags, and insulin is left going round and round your body trying to find a place to stash that glucose. The energy producing cells clearly don't want it, so the glucose is shunted to fat deposits.

As soon as you start getting active, the energy producing cells start putting out receptors again, and that glucose is used up rather than sent to fat deposits. Even better, then your body has to start using up the fat deposits too. AND, as your blood sugar level comes down and your fat stores reduce, your ovaries stop producing the cysts. Not sure why your ovaries get involved in your blood sugar level this way, but they do.

The best exercise? The kind that increases the number of these hungry energy-consuming cells. For a woman with PCOS, that means weight training under supervision to increase the number of hungry muscle cells (don't worry, you won't look bulky!) and also cardiovascular exercise.

Does this answer your question?

Regards, Olwen :-)

My cousin had this and she got an operation and had cysts removed and is doing well now. It's okay.

On a side note, does anyone know why are the labia minora considered to be skin and NOT mucous membrane?

Sandi, to the best of my understanding, they're not considered mucous membrane because they don't secrete mucous, whiereas i think (if I am not mistaken again) that the labia majora does. Does that help?