Hello, I am a 38 years old man, and I have a chronic pain. I am treating it, but I am afraid that I could start abusing the drugs, and I really don’t want to be addicted. Is there anyone who has experienced something similar, and who could give me some advice?

Hi, I was also suffering from a chronic pain, and it was becoming so hard to live with it, that I started increasing the dose of my medication. The time was passing, and I was getting addicted. Suddenly, I realized that I had two conditions to treat instead of one. However, there is one thing you should know. Addiction is not the same thing as dependency. It is a common thing for patients to be dependent to their drug, but if they become addicted, that is a serious problem. If you have time, you could visit a pain management treatment system, and get all the information you need. But I heard some disturbing things about those programs. Many people became addicted to those medications they were using to help manage their pain. So be aware of that!

As stated by the last reply. There is a difference between addiction and dependency. I too have chronic pain, but I also have addiction issues. Studies have found that most people who abuse drugs have something in their bodies called pain receptors that may not be working correctly and have realized that takeing pain medication and doing it correctly is not a bad thing. I goto a methadone clinic and I am working on my addiction issues as well as treating my pain. Just like someone with asthema I too need this medication. The best thing to do is to be honest with your doctor or those who are treating you and you will find that most will be more than willing to assist you. The downfall with going to the doctor is that they must follow the guidlines set in the PDR physicans Dest Reference. As well as the pharmacies so you may have to pay extra for more medication. I hope it all work out well with you. XD :-)