I'm 17 years old and ever since I started getting my periods they have been very painful. At first the bleeding was minimal but later it got worse and worse, the cramps I get are sometimes intolerable. I was told that cramps will disappear with time, as I get older but I didn’t notice that anything has changed – I still get the same symptoms every single month and I'm sick and tired of it. Is there anything I can do to make the symptoms go away?

Mensturation is a normal physiological process which affects all normal women and symptoms that you have described are typical for periods of mensturation. Pain can vary and it depends on your individual physical condition and also genetics plays a great role in how much pain will you experience during periods. Whoever told you that menstruation pains should decrease as you get older was right – it does happen, but again, there are a lot of individual variations, some in some girls the pain may be lower and in others the pain doesn’t have to decrease. The best you can do is take some analgesic like ibuprofen and it should ease the pain. Physical activity, taking warm baths during mensturation or warming up your lower abdomen or back may help ease the menstrual pain. The increased pain and bleeding might be a sign of some other disease like endometrosis. If all the given advices don’t help you should talk to your general practitioner or gynecologist for advice.